VCP-310 tomorrow...

rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well, it's been awhile since I've taken a cert test. I think it was the end of January when I finally earned my MCSA. My employer provided both of the VMware classes for me, one in february and one in march. Now, after several months of studying and hands on experience with designing and setting up our environment...I'm going to take the test.

I have the usual butterflies in my stomach, but I'm pretty confident about this one. I'll report back tomorrow.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely keep us posted!

I have the book you mentioned in the other thread, but I've kind of put it aside to study the official courseware. Please let me know how well that book is for exam prep. I'm definitely jealous you got to take both classes. The DSA course is beyond the exam, but it would have been nice to have taken it anyway.

I just got a pair of DL360 G3s to do a little lab work, and I hope to take my exam soon as well.

Good luck!

Edit: Check out the flashcards if you haven't already: http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=15947
  • rhelt100rhelt100 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The second class wasn't really that great in my opinion. There was very little new material. For the most part it was just a lesson in how to do everything presented in the first class via command line.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck!! Looking forward to a pass thread :D
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any word? I'm particularly interested to see if you feel the second class is necessary for this exam.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    Any word? I'm particularly interested to see if you feel the second class is necessary for this exam.
    It's not, I&C maps to the exam objectives exactly.

DSA maps to the Enterprise exam from the VCDX curriculum and is definitely not required (or even tested on) for the VCP-310.
    Thanks for the info.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Well, it's a pass. I scored an 83. Not really as high as I was hoping for...but a pass is a pass.

The exam was actually a little tougher than I expected. Pretty much all topics were covered. Some of the questions were very obscure, memorization type questions. I missed a couple of those.

To answer the previous question in the thread...no, the first class is sufficient. I would recommend studying the class materials and any PDF from VMware.com that you can get your hands on. The basic admin guide, the san configuration guide, resource management guide, etc. I spent most of my preparation time with the VI Infrastructure 3 book. I did read through all three guides I mentioned here one time and some of the information from those guides that I don't recall seeing elsewhere were test questions.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rhelt100 wrote:
    Well, it's a pass. I scored an 83. Not really as high as I was hoping for...but a pass is a pass.

The exam was actually a little tougher than I expected. Pretty much all topics were covered. Some of the questions were very obscure, memorization type questions. I missed a couple of those.

To answer the previous question in the thread...no, the first class is sufficient. I would recommend studying the class materials and any PDF from VMware.com that you can get your hands on. The basic admin guide, the san configuration guide, resource management guide, etc. I spent most of my preparation time with the VI Infrastructure 3 book. I did read through all three guides I mentioned here one time and some of the information from those guides that I don't recall seeing elsewhere were test questions.

Congratulations! My instructor recommended those guides as well. It seems like they're a big part of this exam.

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/
    astorrs wrote:
    DSA maps to the Enterprise exam from the VCDX curriculum and is definitely not required (or even tested on) for the VCP-310.

I asked about that, and I was told DSA was more of a supplement for the VCP. He said VMware only expects about 200 people to obtain it worldwide and only about 20 inside of VMware. This guy knew his stuff. He taught both classes as well as other internal and private courses, and he was intimidated by it. Sounds like a challenge to me :D
    dynamik wrote:
    I asked about that, and I was told DSA was more of a supplement for the VCP. He said VMware only expects about 200 people to obtain it worldwide and only about 20 inside of VMware. This guy knew his stuff. He taught both classes as well as other internal and private courses, and he was intimidated by it. Sounds like a challenge to me :D

My instructor mentioned that too. He also seemed pretty intimidated. Part of obtaining that certification is creating a complex VMware infrastructure design and defending it to a room full of experts...Brrrrrrr!
    Congrats on the pass!

I hope to get in the I&C class by the end of the year. My company got enough vouchers to cover one course when we made our big VI purchase, and it's a battle between me and the Jr. admin on who gets to go to the class...
    IT guy since 12/00

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken