Options

Setting up a lab

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Hello all, I have a few questions. I'm interested in setting up a lab using VMWare server and I'm confused as to how it uses the host's networking card. I've noticed that there are a few options. If I want it to be it's own private network (for example, own subnet, own ip scheme, while maintaining internet connection) is there a specific mode i should be using? Is there any good "noob" sites regarding this issue? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello all, I have a few questions. I'm interested in setting up a lab using VMWare server and I'm confused as to how it uses the host's networking card. I've noticed that there are a few options. If I want it to be it's own private network (for example, own subnet, own ip scheme, while maintaining internet connection) is there a specific mode i should be using? Is there any good "noob" sites regarding this issue? Thanks for your help!

NAT. It works the same way as your home router does with your ISP.

Check out www.itidiots.com They have various video tutorials for most virtualization products.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    So, to make sure I understand, it uses my network card as a router of sorts? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm using Ubuntu Linux to do some different stuff and wanted to make sure it was no different than any other OS's.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So, to make sure I understand, it uses my network card as a router of sorts? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm using Ubuntu Linux to do some different stuff and wanted to make sure it was no different than any other OS's.

Well, it installs virtual network adapters which it uses to bridge to your physical NIC. Any routing, NAT, etc. would be performed by the software. It's basically what happens when you select two physical network connections and choose "bridge", if you've ever done that.