ASUS P5E3 mobo w/ linux boot

Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
Anyone have this or played with it? I was intrigued when I read about it - a mobo w/ linux boot built-in in case you only want to surf.

"ASUS have stepped up the game (if the game you’re playing is “build a complicated circuitboard”) with their P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n motherboard, which not only boasts such niceties as Intel’s X38 chipset, Dual PCI Express 2.0 x16 lanes and support for DDR3 1800MHz dual-channel memory, but integrated 802.11N wireless and embedded Linux.
That last part is perhaps the most interesting; ASUS are calling it Express Gate, but it’s basically a fast-boot alternative that, in just five seconds, bypasses Windows and gives you a web-browser running in a custom Linux OS."
(f/ slashgear.com)

Also, anyone know what happened to the BTX form factor?
No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Someone has to make up for Foxconn...

I've been curious to see if anyone has used this as well.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Asus steps up the game again. Can't believe I never heard about this mobo before.

With a WIFI AP built-in and linux booting, they're raising the bar!
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Just a follow-up for anyone interested.
    The product is Splashtop and the goal seems to be incorporating it on all ASUS mobos.

"In response to great user feedback, our plan is to proliferate Express Gate across our entire motherboard product portfolio, starting with over one million motherboards per month," says Joe Hsieh, General Manager, ASUS Motherboard Business Unit. "Consumers want to turn their PCs on and off like any other appliance, and Express Gate has made that possible."

(http://www.splashtop.com/press_releases_detail.php?Id=22)

for product info:
    http://www.splashtop.com/splashtop_overview.php

Very interesting stuff. I wonder if any Microsoft execs are freaking out?
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    This is just the thing that is needed to give Linux a boost, I personaly only use XP but I am not against using Linux as long as it does everything that XP can do

I would gladly move onto Linux if that were possible

Lee H
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    This is just the thing that is needed to give Linux a boost, I personaly only use XP but I am not against using Linux as long as it does everything that XP can do

I would gladly move onto Linux if that were possible

Lee H
    ... and what XP can do and linux can not? icon_twisted.gif
    btw, some guys succeeded in running SplashTop on non-Asus MB ;)
    marco71 wrote:
    ... and what XP can do and linux can not? icon_twisted.gif

Get reliable video drivers from nVidia and ATI ;)
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    that was true for couple of years ago...
    Nvidia, Radeon and open-source Radeon (radeonhd) linux drivers made a lot of progress;
    check this comparison
    This was on Digg the other day: http://digg.com/linux_unix/NVIDIA_Screws_Over_Linux_Users

I've had some issues on my new laptop with an 8600gt. There's still kinks to work out, unfortunately.