Options

Cent OS for mission Critcal server

datchchadatchcha Member Posts: 265
Forum,
I am new to linux, and wanted to know if CentOS is a wise choice for a mission critical servers? Thinking about using CentOS and running Samba for a datastore server.

Thank you
Arrakis

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are people on this forum that can answer this question better than myself but I am going to say yes I think it would be a good choice for a mission critical environment. CentOS is pretty much the same as RHEL without the name and support. But to each their own.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sthomas wrote:
    There are people on this forum that can answer this question better than myself but I am going to say yes I think it would be a good choice for a mission critical environment. CentOS is pretty much the same as RHEL without the name and support. But to each their own.
    thanks
    Arrakis
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    CentOS should be just fine for a production (mission-critical) server. Just as with any software, it's important that you make sure you install and configure it properly, but I know from experience that there are lots of companies out there, including ISPs and television stations, that use CentOS for their servers. The only real difference between using CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Server is that Red Hat provides service contracts with their software, so you can get help from them when you run into issues. With the free software, you're on your own.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your server.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    CentOS = Excellent choice!

We use this for several departments here at the university too.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    CentOS should be just fine for a production (mission-critical) server. Just as with any software, it's important that you make sure you install and configure it properly, but I know from experience that there are lots of companies out there, including ISPs and television stations, that use CentOS for their servers. The only real difference between using CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Server is that Red Hat provides service contracts with their software, so you can get help from them when you run into issues. With the free software, you're on your own.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your server.
    Thanks alot....this is really good info.
    Arrakis
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Not sure if you can use Samba for a datastore server. Are you using it for VMware ESX?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure if you can use Samba for a datastore server. Are you using it for VMware ESX?

Why not? That's just standard SMB/CIFS. He'd just have to enable NFS if he wanted to use it for ESX. CentOS would still be a good choice.
  • Options
    Dynamik,
    I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say. I was asking if he was using it for a datastore in the VMware sense? If he was, then Samba wouldn't work, he would have to use NFS in order to store his datastores on the server. I know what Samba and I know its just SMB/CIFS. CentOS is an excellent choice. I use it at home as well as at my place of employment.
  • Options
    I would like to use it as a database store as well, but i am not using VMWare - will be stand alone CentOS system with no windows os on it.

would it be a wise idea to build my datapartition in NTFS if it plan on saving data across platforms? Not very familure yet with Samba, and the capabilities for the software.

thank you,
    Arrakis
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Samba uses CIFS for sharing data across the network so it doesn't matter what file system you use for your Samba shares as any Windows machine will be able to access it.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Ok, then yeah you could definitely use CentOS. When you said datastore I immediately thought VMWare because that's what they call the repositories for holding their vmware machines. Database store is a totally different deal. Samba would work great for that.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just remember that you won't be able to use NTFS permissions.
  • Options
    Actually you can use NTFS permissions in a way. You need to enable ACLs for the file system and make sure they're enabled in Samba. Then Samba can map NTFS permissions to Unix permissions.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Actually you can use NTFS permissions in a way. You need to enable ACLs for the file system and make sure they're enabled in Samba. Then Samba can map NTFS permissions to Unix permissions.
    This is excellent...this is what i want to do....

The best, thank you all....
    Cheers!!!
    Arrakis
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There's all kinds of things you can do with Samba, including authenticating Linux/Unix/Mac clients to AD, (with some limitations and hoop-jumping). If you're looking for a little extra help, check out a book that I've bent the spine on quite a bit: Using Samba, 3rd Edition

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    There's all kinds of things you can do with Samba, including authenticating Linux/Unix/Mac clients to AD, (with some limitations and hoop-jumping). If you're looking for a little extra help, check out a book that I've bent the spine on quite a bit: Using Samba, 3rd Edition

I'll second him on this one as well. +1!