Options

70-290 Exam Simulation Questions

tlpwwxtlpwwx Inactive Imported Users Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for the 70-290 exam and will take it within the next 2 weeks. I am mainly concerned about the new simulation questions. I have been using the MeasureUp pratice exams. I have repeatedly passed them with scores around 90% but run into some problems with the simulation questions. Since there are several ways to perform the tasks required to answer the question correctly, I worry that I am not going to do the steps that the exam considers right.
I have a really bad case of 'test anxiety' and was hoping I could get some info on what the simulation questions are like.
Somebody told me that if you get one of the simulations wrong you fail. This does not seem to make sense. Does anybody know if it is true?
Thanks in advance.
Nervously yours,
T
"ad astra per alia porci" ( To the moon on the wings of a pig)-John Steinbeck

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best thing you can do is try to relax and remember that it's just a test. The simulations aren't all too tough, as long as you've actually had a little bit of hands-on experience with what the books are teaching you. If you know enough to set up the various services, configure permissions for folders, and understand the fundamentals of users, groups, and OUs, you'll be more than prepared for the simulation questions.

And no, failing one sim and answering all the multiple-choice questions right isn't going to make you fail the exam. Just try to remember, as you're picking answers and working on sims, there are three ways to do something: there's the right way, the wrong way, and "One Microsoft Way". Do your best to follow the best-practices and guidelines that your study material tells you, (because that's how Microsoft wants you to do it,) and you'll be fine. . . especially if you're scoring in the 90% range on your practice tests.

Good luck, and let us know how you did once you take the test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without trying to make you more anxious, I dont think the MeasureUp tests are an adequate representation of your preparedness. IMO the MUp tests are easier compared to the actual test, if your not strapped for cash, give Transcenders a shot. Difficulty-wise, they are a bit tougher than the actual test.

Additionally, the sims are easier than some other questions on the test. Let's say if your asked to configure share permissions on a folder. Now there's only one way to get to the folder i.e. C:><folder name>. Another example, if they ask you to create a global group. The only way you can do that is via the ADUC snap-in. On my test, I tried to use the ds command, it wouldnt work (I couldnt even get to the command prompt for that question!)

I'd say, if you feel your not adequately prepared, reschedule it, lab it up, and use Transcender.[/i]
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, I know that Sim doesn't count on MS exam. I have heard some takers who got a high score and skipped all sims. So, get relax and beat the dragon.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Tontonsam wrote:
    Actually, I know that Sim doesn't count on MS exam. I have heard some takers who got a high score and skipped all sims. So, get relax and beat the dragon.
    There is no way the simulations "don't count" on the exam
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There would be no point in having them if they didn't count. They're not the entire exam, so you can do well without the sims. However, if you know the material but can't carry out the operations, you have a serious shortcoming in your abilities. The sims really shouldn't be an issue if you're prepared.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Only issue I've ever seen with the sims that could lead to failure is a couple I ran across that were poorly worded as to the exact result they were looking to achieve. Otherwise the sims really aren't a problem at all as long as you've done at least a few labs.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Try not to over think the sims. Just do exactly what it says and don't take any extra steps that aren't necessary.