Options

Funny trouble call

LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
My brother is a tech support guy for a cable company. He called me yesterday laughing about this call he went to.

Trouble Call.

My brother: "I am here to take a look at your internet."

Lady: "Yes, my laptop is over there. I can't get the internet"

My brother: "Ma'am your laptop battery is dead and it will not turn on, could you get me your power cord so I can power it up and take a look."

Lady: "Oh, when your guys installed my modem, they said I had wireless, so I threw away all of the cords."

My brothericon_sad.gifholding in laughter) "Yes Ma'am, you do have wireless internet, but you need the power cord to charge the laptop."

Lady: "Well the trash pickup came yesterday, the cords are gone. They said I had wireless."

I thought this was pretty funny.

Comments

• Options
    unclejohnnyunclejohnny Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is pretty good. The ignorance of end users never ceases to amaze me. icon_lol.gif
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." Willy Wonka
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Another way to look at it is the lack of educating the end users never ceases to be amazing.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I beg to differ. This is the 21st century not 1980. If by now you don't know what wireless is then you deserve to throw your own cords away and have to buy new ones. I don't know how old the lady is but my father is 60 and he knows what wireless is. That's just absolutely the most brain dead thing I have ever heard. There comes a time where you must educate yourself to a point .
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would think that trying to explain that having wireless internet means they must keep charging their laptop via the AC adapter would insult most people in some way. I don't know of any wireless technology currently on the market that can charge anything wirelessly, yet... although I've heard about it.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And I beg to differ with you, Remy! I'm pretty sure most people understood how batteries worked in 1980. I think you meant 1680!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    dynamik wrote:
    And I beg to differ with you, Remy! I'm pretty sure most people understood how batteries worked in 1980. I think you meant 1680!

Actually it was just a date I threw out there referring to how computer illiterate people were back then, so I was actually referring to computers and wireless not batteries.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    How many times you've heard end-users say, "I'm not technical". My response is that if you're not technical, why in the hell do you bother use a highly technical device like a PC in the first place? Hire a 'technical person' to do your job and pay him or for God's sake go to your local library and get the book "Technology for beginners/dummies" icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

They're unwilling to learn and unwilling to pay others and yet they get made at techs and PC's. Who they think they are? icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wanna hear another funny one?

When I worked for Gateway Tech support I had a man call up who owned a Dell... When I asked him why he called he said his ISP told him to call to get his Default Gateway so he could get on the internet... So he called Gateway Tech support. He actually argued with me for quite a while while I tried to explain to him that Gateway Tech support had nothing to do with his default gateway.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Still, nothing beats when I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months to pay for college, and someone called up asking if we had any Windows 95 compatible mouse pads.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Still, nothing beats when I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months to pay for college, and someone called up asking if we had any Windows 95 compatible mouse pads.

LOL - what a classic :P

My uncle keeps switching on his mobile (not typing in his pin) and assumes he can receive calls and messages - we gave up on that one too :P :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    They do amuse me but I guess I can see where the woman was coming from.

You cant explain everything though I guess.

One of my most amusing is trying to configure a touch screen over the phone only to discover the guy didnt really have a touch screen....
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    I don't know of any wireless technology currently on the market that can charge anything wirelessly

Ever heard of witricity, yep wireless electricity, maybe this woman knows about it too and thats why she trew them leads away

icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Here are three classic moments I remember when I was doing tech support:

1. I used to work for an ISP. One day a guy called saying our cable modem was indeed a ghost or an alien :) He said "As I"m speaking to you I have unplugged the cable modem from power and it's in my hand, but all the lights are still blinking". I asked him whether that was indeed the cable modem. Then he read me the serail # of the modem and still insisting all lights were blinking while it was in his hand and powered off!

2. Most users read "Gateway address" as "Get Away address". This was too common.

3. Another existing user called saying she noticed we were giving away a camera for new subscribers. She wanted me to send her the camera as she "was a loyal" customer and it shouldn't matter if she's not a new customer. Although, I told her that wasn't possible and that I was tech support, she insisted. I finally put her through our biling department.
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.notalwaysright.com

The customer is not always right. Includes tech support stories