Options

Microsoft or Linux

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Well I'm debating. I'm trying to decide which route to choose. I currently work within an enviornment of windows supporting users with various problems. I've also worked with linux/BSD systems. I'm debating weather I should go after my linux+ or focus in trying to receive my MCSA when I already have experience.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What do you enjoy more? Or better yet, why not both?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    1.) I enjoy linux more.
    2.) Money as of RIGHT now.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That should answer your question then. Linux+ because you enjoy Linux more and because it costs less than going for the MCSA. The perhaps look at LPIC and RHCE for your next step up.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    There are a lot of people looking for Linux admins, and there is good money in it too.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Silentsoul wrote:
    There are a lot of people looking for Linux admins, and there is good money in it too.

Out of curiosity, what are the qualifications for a beginning Linux admin? how is it best to get noticed? Do they look for Linux certifications or experience? If experience, is there a entry level junior admin positions?

I'm asking because once you really focus on Linux its hard to switch back and forth with Microsoft if you're looking for an entry level job that might be Windows focused, ie. active directory, dealing with user accounts.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In today's job market you are going to need to know both *nix and Windows and have the certs to prove it.

Windows will provide you with more job options, but Linux will pay more on average.

I would say Linux+ is a quick cert to earn, especially if you have*nix background. Dive in snag it and then start in on your MCSA.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From what I've heard, certs aren't nearly as big in the *nix world as they are for MS. Experience seems to be your greatest asset (when isn't it?).

Like I said, that's just the impression I've got. What do you *nix guys think? Agree? Disagree?
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Daniel333 wrote:
    In today's job market you are going to need to know both *nix and Windows and have the certs to prove it.

Sounds about right except for one thing I've heard when talking to the local HR for the water company. They separate Windows and Unix in different departments, Windows goes in the administration department and Unix goes in the scientific department.
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Good evening, I did not want to make another thread in regards to the topic here, but I am sort of the same state of wonder as the OP.

I am debating whether or not to go the Linux route or MS route after I finish my CCNA.

I have 0 Linux experience, and only minimal Microsoft server experience.

If I go the Linux route I am not really caring to learn the user side of it, but the server admin side.

The reason I ask this is because it was recommend by a friend of mine to go the Linux router because its in such demand, and people pretty much know that if you can do Linux Administration that MS administration should be easily learned if need be. That is my friends take on things, and I can see where he is coming from.

Any advice is appreciate - Thank you.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I plan on hitting up Linux+ and the MCSA
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I was considering Linux +, but I was worried that is was more user side based kinda like A+ ( forgive me but I did not look too deep when it came to Linux +)
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security