Options

Connecting Exchange Server to internet

Hello all I have a couple questions about exchange server 2003

1. When I setup the exchange server do i have to create an smtp connector to the internet in order to send or receive messages?

2. For General public folder trees I know that MAPI "Outlook" will not see these public folder trees but can OWA see these trees?
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Send Connector for the Internet (Don't use Smart Host on your Virtual SMTP as that can prevent proper routing when migrating to Exchange 2007). You will want to make sure anonymous is allowed on your Virtual SMTP servers and your recipient policies are configured accordingly.

Just run the Internet Wizard and all this will be done for you.

As for public folders. MAPI can only see the general public folder tree (and one public folder tree structure). If for instance say you want to create a new public folder tree, you can create a new website within Exchange 2003 System Manager and associate it with a new public folder tree. You can then advise people who need to get to it how to get to the public folder tree by giving them the appropriate URL.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Ok but for testing purposes they advise mapi clients cannot see the general public folder tree but i guess you can see this public folder tree if you ae using OWA correct

next what is the "send connector" and where do i find this internet wizard?
    On the road to MCITP......
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me rephrase a little bit on the subject of public folders since what I typed seemed confusing and some of it wrong. What Outlook clients connect to is a mapi public folder tree, not a general purporse tree.

When you install Exchange 2003, there are a few things that created automatically. A mapi public folder tree, a public folder database, and within IIS, a public folder. Outlook only has the capability to view one public folder tree. When you look at the mailbox database, it is associated with your public folder database. That database is associated with the mapi public folder tree. The public folder in IIS is associated with the mapi public folder tree.

You can create additional public folder trees such as a general purpose public folder tree. You can create a new HTTP Directory under your website dedicated to this public folder tree. We now create a new public folder database and associate it with this new public folder tree.

Now you give the new http://FQDN/newpath to your clients. They can connect to that public folder tree and do as they wish.

Internet Mail Wizard: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using_Exchange_2003_Mail_Wizard.html

Want to know what a send connector is? IT basically allows you to send mail to a specific location. For example, if I want to allow mail to the internet. I can create a send connector with a destination of * which means anywhere. You then tell the connector to use DNS or to send to a specific server (smart host). So let's say our business has 2 sister companies and we're on the same network. I can create a send connector with a destination of theirdomain.com with a smart host of their SMTP Server. Now, your mail for them doesn't go to the internet for them but stays on the private network and goes directly to their SMTP server. For more info, search Google.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks