Options

another vmware question: joining machine to the domain

vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
i have the following vmware setup for 2 machines...both are setup as "host only" on vmware.

server 2003
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: . . . .

dns: 127.0.0.1
alternate dns: . . . .

xp machine:
ip address: 192.168.0.10
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: . . . .

dns: . . . .
alternate dns: . . . .

"obtain dns server address automatically" is dimmed ot on both machine and only can use "use the following dns server addresses"

now i'm trying to add xp machine into domain and in order to do that it must detect the dns server....how what do i need it put on the tcp/ip field in order for xp to see windows 2003 dns server? since the dns for server 2003 is 127.0.0.1...isnt that its ip address of its nic card? what about default gateway? do i need to put anything in there? the 192.18.x.x is my home network right now...what happen when i bring my laptop back to work which is 10.161.x.x..do i need to reconfigure it on my machine and what configs setting? thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Put the server's IP address in the "Use the following DNS server" for both the server and the client. The client can only find the server if the DNS server address is correctly configured.

You only need a default gateway if you go out to the public internet or if your machines are on different subnets. A default gateway is a router and a router is something that routes between different subnets. So you dont need a default gateway if your machines use the 192.168.0.x subnet.

When you bring your laptop, as it's on a different subnet, you will need to put in the same subnet as the other machines (or configure a router which is a bit, complicated, if you will). Or better still, have the laptop set to"obtain IP automatically" and put the server's address in "Use the following DNS server"
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Have pretty much the same setup, got mine to work by setting up dhcp and dns on the server. Just setup up a scope for dhcp, authorize it and then setup dns, the most important thing is getting dns setup correctly with forward lookup zones as well as reverse zones, once they're setup the workstations have no problem joining the domain, you'll also need it if you ever want to apply group policy.