Options

Resume for review

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dc5xvxfm_8fqbrq2fn.

The bulletted part in the middle looks a lot better and printed because it comes out in columns.

It has worked a little bit I put it in to a company the other night and got a call the next day. just wanted to see if other had any more ideas.

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would off the bat drop the legacy operating systems like 9x/Me and keep your certifications separate from your skills.

Also drop the GPA thing. Unless you are busting a 4.0, probably just leave it off.

I'd also reword your descriptions of your jobs, bullet point them so the interviewer can pinpoint exactly what they are looking for. Of course you would customize the wording based on the job you were applying for.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    One tip with resumes is to start off with a couple of lines of "Profile" at the top where you talk very concisely and generally about who you are, the skills and experience you posses which are relevent to the role you are applying for. A lot of skills and experience are completely invisible and you wouldn't know you had them. The hiring person will see them through your education, work experience, your interests and the general tone of your cv/resume.

This is in 3-4 lines of text at the top before they read anything else. No more than that. Don't talk about what you can do for them... Let them figure that out for themselves.

The best way is to imagine you are the persom hiring. As well as your normal day to day stuff you have now been dumped on to find someone to fill a job. 100 resumes get plonked on your desk (which is not a small stack of paper and that stack of paper is keeping you from the work you have to get done )so you are going to want to get through that pile fast and within the first 10 seconds, you will either discard the resume or put it on the new pile called "Review more closely". The trick is to word this profile so well that it sparks their interest and makes them want to read it later after they have discarded the crap.

Also, "the ability to install any type of hardware or software" is a massive turn off and to be honest, if I were hiring, it would be in the bin right there and then.... That statement is a very huge thing to say in this industry especially as there is so much technology out there you simply haven't seen yet. ( could you for instance join an external telco fiber to an internal fiber switch with less than 5db noise ? ) - you get my point ? It's like you're assuming the person reading it has no technical experience and that you will come in on your white charger and save the day which is very dangerous when you hoping that person will give you a job.

I can understand what you meant by what you were writing but the whole resume needs a little humilty and not so much waffle. You have six years working experience which is quite a lot so you need to stress the point right at the start.

I.T. support professional with over six years years experience providing technical and administrative support ....... Next sentance ... I have skills in ..., ..., ... and have x/y/z abilites .... etc

Thats all.... Just a brief coupel of lines.... Thats the hook to get you on the read later pile.

For work experience. Brief "BRIEF" job descripton (remember they can think for themselves) and maybe 1 or 2 bullet points about where you excelled in the role.

Could go on but dinner on table.

Kam.
    Kam.
  • Options
    kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Instead of a Qualifications paragraph, you could use an Objective paragraph. The Objective paragraph provides a view of what your future goals are, which may be something that will provide a future glimpse yourself instead of having a history of yourself. The history part is already provided from your work experience, so why not have something that will explain your future plans or goals.

Instead of using bullet points, you could use tables with columns for your IT Skills. That way you could expand more on your work experience, which I think is what a lot of employers love to look at.

And definitely try not to talk in first person, it will take a while to edit but it will be well worth it. I re-edited my resume atleast 6 times in one week, and each edit took an hour or two.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see alot of paragraph, may I suggest trying to be more descriptive and segregating technologies you worked and what you did.

This is a sample from my resume:

 Used Remedy 6.0 (Action Request System) to manage, track, resolve and escalate trouble tickets.
     Managed transferring/seizing of Masters Operations Roles (FSMO Roles) on decommisioned, failed or problematic DC by using NTDSutil and Active Directory Services.

I would also highly recommend using a bullet.

Hope this help somehow...