Cannot Obtain IP Address

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I cannot obtain an IP address on my laptop that I use at work. I took my laptop home and tried connecting it to my router, then directly to my cable modem and also tried a new network cable, but stll cannot get an IP address to connect to the internet. I tried ipconfig \release and
ipconfig \renew, restatred laptop, but still won't work. The netwok settings are set to obtain an IP address automatically. My home PC has no problem. Any suggestions.
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The TCP/IP stack may need resetting, see here for instructions.

Hope this helps :)

-Ken
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Yes try rebuilding the TCP/IP stack also make sure your not restricting your IP address allocation. (By MAC address or anything) from your router.

As mentioned:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

will reset it for you.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • whistlerwhistler Member Posts: 108
    I cannot obtain an IP address on my laptop that I use at work. I took my laptop home and tried connecting it to my router, then directly to my cable modem and also tried a new network cable, but stll cannot get an IP address to connect to the internet. I tried ipconfig \release and
    ipconfig \renew, restatred laptop, but still won't work. The netwok settings are set to obtain an IP address automatically. My home PC has no problem. Any suggestions.

Hopefully you meant

ipconfig /release or /renew

What do you see when you do a ipconfig /all?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I assume this same ethernet connection works fine at your office? What kinds of errors do you get when you try connecting it to your home router or cable modem? Do you ever see evidence that it is making a physical connection (link light, the taskbar icon showing an attmept to acquire an IP when you connect the cable)?

Which OS are you running? Is it set to a static IP for work? Do you have permission to make changes to network settings on your laptop?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...