Options

I find it very funny

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
That I continue to find and get interviews with entry-level networking jobs. But that is my weak spot...

I'm very tech savvy with computer and operating systems themselves and I'm very interested in programming.

But I keep finding and getting interviews with NOC Tech positions and other Internet Services!

I guess I have no choice but to go for my Network+ even though it does not interest me AT ALL.

I'm sad. icon_sad.gif
I just want an Entry-Level job that has nothing to do with Retail Stores filled with boneheads...
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hey a lot of people would be happy to be in your position right now!

According to CNN Money the number one fastest growing job is Network systems and data communications analyst so its no surprise that these are the most abundant jobs you are seeing right now. Besides, everything is going IP and they need people (even entry level) to monitor and troubleshoot these networks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    What are your interests then? It will never hurt to get some experience in networking and then move on to what you're really passionate about.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□

+1 I would happily trade you! I get tons of programming calls but I HATE programming. Love networking but don't get any calls for that...
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    My interest is in Software Development C#/.NET
    Also I would not mind doing some SQL Database work to start me off... Obviously both of these require a lot more study to get an Entry Level job in.

Networks just do not interest me, I understand the OSI Model and I get all this IP address/Subnet Mask stuff but I'd rather get an Entry Level job doing Computer Tech Support/Help Desk/Call Center...

I mean nothing in my resume but my A+ and my cover letter really talks about computer networks. So I do not even know why I'm getting phone calls!

• Options

+1 I would happily trade you! I get tons of programming calls but I HATE programming. Love networking but don't get any calls for that...

Lame!

I study programming all the time and no one will take a 20 year old working on his A.A. and Bachelors.

• Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:

Lame!

I study programming all the time and no one will take a 20 year old working on his A.A. and Bachelors.

There are an abundance of software development positions for you. Use your school's career services as an aid. Problem is, you'll learn to hate dev jobs as quality assurance positions saturate the market for junior developers: who likes debugging poorly-written code all day? But it's a start.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:

Lame!

There are an abundance of software development positions for you. Use your school's career services as an aid. Problem is, you'll learn to hate dev jobs as quality assurance positions saturate the market for junior developers: who likes debugging poorly-written code all day? But it's a start.

Trust me when I say I know every job that is being offered with-in 50 miles of my house. I know that sounds stupid but I use many resources.

About, I dont know 100% of the Software Development positions required an A.A. or Bachelors and/or 2-5 years in the field. Also I get a lot of "Strong Knowledge" tags in front of C#, C++, Java and other languages. I've only been studying these languages for close to a year.

I've also e-mailed many surrounding companies about internships if they did not post them.
    Also even when I find internships not from my community college they require you to be in your third or fourth year of your Bachelors degree. (I have a little over a year to be considered a Junior at a University)

So what "Titles" should I be looking for if they're so many of these Dev jobs? I search QA, Software Development, C#, Entry Level, Junior Dev, Debugger and many other keywords.

• Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    Trust me when I say I know every job that is being offered with-in 50 miles of my house.

I'm not a trusting person.
    jryantech wrote:
    100% of the Software Development positions required an A.A. or Bachelors and/or 2-5 years in the field.

Source? Or is this merely a hyperbole added for dramatic effect?
    jryantech wrote:
    Also I get a lot of "Strong Knowledge" tags in front of C#, C++, Java and other languages. I've only been studying these languages for close to a year.

If you let job postings intimidate you you'll never get to where you want to be. You'll notice that job postings often consist of ridiculous "requirements". Don't let that be an obstacle. Apply anyways.
    jryantech wrote:
    I've also e-mailed many surrounding companies about internships if they did not post them.

E-mail is a passive job hunting tool. You need to adopt an active approach and meet directly with potential employers.
    jryantech wrote:
    Also even when I find internships not from my community college they require you to be in your third or fourth year of your Bachelors degree.

Sounds like it's time to switch community colleges, my friend! I've never heard of an age restriction on an internship.
    jryantech wrote:
    So what "Titles" should I be looking for if they're so many of these Dev jobs?

Don't look for titles. Look for people.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Every job I've gotten has "required" a degree and years more experience than what I had at the time. I don't have the degree and I didn't have the experience at the time. I still got the jobs. For entry level a NOC position should be just dandy. It will get you IT experience on your resume. That will look great, whether you're wanting to continue down the networking route or go down the sys admin route.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What is your level of skill with C#/Java? I thought you were recently just looking for books? You don't need to be an expert, but you're going to have a difficult time finding a place that will take the time to educate someone with little or no experience. What programs have you written? Have something to show off! They don't have to be huge applications or anything revolutionary, just something that shows off your abilities.
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed, and entry-level NOC position sounds much better than where I started out - doing lame tech support for a consumer PC company for $10.10/hour!

I have worked in NOC doing entry-level IA work, and let me tell you, there is almost always opportunity to be found outside what you got hired for. Example - I had a bit of scripting experience, and simply by volunteering, was given the responsibility of taking over maintaining a piece of VB Script. This impressed by bosses, and led to more opportunities within our department.

When I was working the help desk for this same company, I saw people get similar opportunities for work outside of their normal daily routine - everything from working on KB documentation to programming, and other special projects that resulted in increased knowledge in specialized technologies.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    What is your level of skill with C#/Java? I thought you were recently just looking for books? You don't need to be an expert, but you're going to have a difficult time finding a place that will take the time to educate someone with little or no experience. What programs have you written? Have something to show off! They don't have to be huge applications or anything revolutionary, just something that shows off your abilities.

I've been threw about 2 books on Java and a book on C#. I haven't done anything with Java lately because most job posts are about the C's (C++ and C#)... I know these languages are very similar but I like C# because it interacts with Visual Studio.

Guess we'll see if I get a call for this NOC Tech this week...

• Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Have you considered pursuing programming certs? I am also very interesting in programming and currently work as a Network Admin. I am not crazy about networking either so my plan is to finish this darn 70-291 and start getting programming and database certs.
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    eltoro wrote:
    Have you considered pursuing programming certs? I am also very interesting in programming and currently work as a Network Admin. I am not crazy about networking either so my plan is to finish this darn 70-291 and start getting programming and database certs.

Yes but C#/.NET certifications are quite mid-high level.
    You really need to know this stuff and the IDE very well.

I plan on pursuing the programming certifications my senior year in college and thereafter.

For now I'm sticking with some CompTIA and basic Microsoft certs.

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I, like many others, would love to trade positions with you. I get calls for programming positions and QA/QE work, but would rather get calls for networking positions even though my resume states it.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Every job I've gotten has "required" a degree and years more experience than what I had at the time. I don't have the degree and I didn't have the experience at the time. I still got the jobs. For entry level a NOC position should be just dandy. It will get you IT experience on your resume. That will look great, whether you're wanting to continue down the networking route or go down the sys admin route.

I agree with Undomiel. On another note, the position you work in can easily transport you into another area within the same organization if your willing to give it a go and also if others are aware of your abilities/ambitions. It is really all on how you sell yourself. For my resume for example, if I've touched it..I put it there. I don't try to ever claim I am an expert or pro. Half the time..its enough just to get me in.

I once took an internship job at a company in the Network/Systems Admin field; when I was really looking for a full time position. Within a year I had a full time job at the same company. (unfortunately they had to lay off half the staff 8 months later..but well you get the picture.)

I had a good friend who started with some basic programming support work and next thing he knows down the road he was asked to get into a management position. He has since gone to work for several other organizations and he has worked with some of the top global companies in our area. And all because he had an understanding of technology and business roles, leadership skills and was personable.

The funny thing about my friend, long before that...the only management he had done was managing a mountain logging team of a bunch of ex convicts....

You never know...you have one life and need to fight for it however you see fit. I read this in the paper the other day..you guys heard of the six degrees of separation theory? I am not sure if it is applicable here in terms of social networking to connect with others (to get a job); but it rung a bell anyhow.... :)

"People were considered one degree apart from a friend, two degrees away from a friend's friend and so on."

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i67mFNeQTB3m7SsHuLCwF1-rMkkA

-Rikku
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    jryantech you could try out Sun's certs if you're looking for an entry level certification for development. Since you said you've been through a few java books it could be a start for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Certified_Professional
    http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scja.xml
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    jryantech you could try out Sun's certs if you're looking for an entry level certification for development. Since you said you've been through a few java books it could be a start for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Certified_Professional
    http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scja.xml

Yes I have posted in the Java forum on this website about the SCJA but no one here or on the net really thinks that cert is worth the $300 it costs to take it.

Everyone says just study more for the SCJP... So I was going to but then I found out how much cooler C#/.NET was...