SuperMemo

AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi Guys,

I read an article on this and the principal of spacing to enhance memory and it looked very interesting, http://www.supermemo.com/ , has anyone used it yet? I went ahead and ordered it anyway and am awaiting the download-link and key but in the meantime if anyone has experience with it do you have any time-saving pointers?
We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

Comments

• learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Let us know how it goes, looks interesting.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I am very intrigued. I can't figure out what the actual product is though. I guess I'll keep reading...

I am willing to try sleeping with the book on my head to see if I can learn anything through osmosis. icon_wink.gif

Has anyone ever taken a speed reading course? I would love to read and comprehend a book in a very short amount of time.

Edit: Okay, got it. Pretty much like an electronic flash card program if I am reading it correctly. Since I like learning through flash cards, I may give it a shot. Lots of good info on the site too.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out mind mapping if you're looking for alternative learning tools. It's pretty interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlabrWv25qQ
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_map
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup it's flash card based but it's standout quality is the algorithm it uses to judge when is the optimum time to refresh your knowledge on a topic. Think of it like a brain-matched scheduler for the cards.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use SuperMemo and also use Mnemosyne for network notes memorization and Japanese memorization. But, the tool is only as good as the person who inputs data into it (and uses it regularily...) So, really no quick steps to using it, just apply what works best for you for the particular areas you are going to study.

For example, I used SuperMemo to memorize the Raid types or AD Schema types for the 70-290 test etc. These kind of flash based programs are best used to memorize specifics, but not large quantities (pages) of information.

I kind of now wish I hadnt wasted my money on SuperMemo cause I actually like Mnemosyne better and it is also free and updated on a regular basis...oh well...

-Rikku
  • FirstCoolFirstCool Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rikku wrote:
    I kind of now wish I hadnt wasted my money on SuperMemo cause I actually like Mnemosyne better and it is also free and updated on a regular basis...oh well...

-Rikku

Hi All,

First post here. I saw the Wired article on SuperMemo and bought it and have used it for three weeks now. I love/hate it, so I'm interested in why you like Mnemosyne better.

Background: I joined this web site when studying for Security+ and want to thank everyone for the helpful information. I had a tough time memorizing things for Security+ and now I am working on 70-536 for .NET Foundation, and am having an even tougher time keeping things in memory. I can understand the material when I study it and write programs, but a month later have little or no recollection.

It doesn't help that the Microsoft Press 70-536 book is deadly boring. I have two other books I am using that are much easier to read, but recollection is still a problem. Being 57 years old doesn't help either. I don't remember having as much of a problem studying 30 years ago.

SuperMemo (and I assume Mnemosyne) require a lot of time because I have to make up the questions and answers, which is very difficult for subjects such as programming. But it is remarkable in how much I can now remember. It's as if I was overloading my memory and getting things jumbled on my own. SuperMemo puts you on a daily "diet" of what seems like a small number of questions, then says you are done for the day. And I get more and more of them correct.

The drill of having to create questions requires that I do a better job of learning the material in the first place. That may be enough of a benefit to using SuperMemo or any other program.

SuperMemo is also buggy and vastly more complicated than it needs to be, which is why I also hate it. I've invested a lot of time in SuperMemo and am interested to hear from anyone who can compare it to Mnemosyne.

Walt