Options

jobs other than IT for MIS grad??

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there any other field besides IT that I would be able to get into with an bachelor's degree in MIS?? Im not happy at my current job and there are little to no prospects in my area for entry level It work. If I could get into something else other than IT, I would consider it.

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I don't think this would be the best board to ask about other fields since most of us work in IT. Why are you unhappy at your current job...when you start out entry level the job isn't always enjoyable I can tell you that. I've been working for a little over 2.5 years and when I started my current job in February is when I started really enjoying what I do. So it takes time some longer then others but you will get to the better jobs you just have to pay your dues.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Like the saying goes good things come to those who wait.

If you are not happy at your current job I wouldn't just give up on IT all together.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    not to mention no matter what field you are in, you will always have to start at the bottom

now if you absolutely hate doing IT work that is a different story
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    You can do whatever you want.

I know people in IT with history degrees. It's all about who you know and what you're willing to do. You may have to start at a lower level than you would like, but the degree doesn't make the man... the man makes the degree icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    It all depends on what type of MIS degree you have. My MIS degree was about half Business courses and computer Science courses. How was your MIS degree structured?

With MIS, you can go into a lot of entry level management/leadership positions that a lot of companies and government agencies try to recruit college graduates for. Some require a certain amount of business class credits to apply for the non-I.T. and certain CS credits for the I.T. side. Either way, with your MIS degree, you have a choice of pure business or pure I.T.

This is and has been the case for me when using my degree. My degree is actually Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, but I majored in MIS. I stressed the differences depending on what I was going for.

Good luck...the limit is way above the sky!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Look at the option of your degree opening the door to a Masters program in another field. For example, my Comp Sci degree gave me the opportunity to do a masters in Banking and Finance, which I'm actually still considering.