Options

Miscommunication or not...

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Last week I was offered an opportunity to Interview with a supposedly good Sys Admin position with a Bank/Credit union organization.

The IT team at the company is composed of mostly helpdesk support with only one other Sys Admin and a few IT managers. The network is comprised of mainly Wintel systems with emphasis on also Unix,Vmware-ESX server, Citrix Presentation Server etc. They recently updated the request for this position with someone with a good amount of Exchange Server experience. They seem concerned to find someone who can help advise thier team on the configuration and use of thier Exchange environment. I have some exchange experience but not that much...since 5.5 and 2003 Server. Still supposedly my resume and another canidate that they already shot down were the "top pics" according to the recruiter submitting me.

The thing that sucks, they have scheduled phone interviews with me on two separate occassions and both times either forgot or miscommunicated to contact me. I was pissed and called the recruiter to vent on if this credit company has thier act together or not. They said they have had nothing but good reports from this organization from the helpdesk positions they placed, but I am starting to have my doubts. For me, my thing is wanting to work for an organization with a good Teamwork environment/ethic and also that they have good communication within thier organization and between thier business groups. I just hate wasting time if I keep trying to make time in my schedule next to my other appointments, job search, studdies..etc.

From this alone, I feel like saying !)@*)!* it and move on to the next opportunity... Am I being too harsh in my view?

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Rikku wrote:
    The thing that sucks, they have scheduled phone interviews with me on two separate occassions and both times either forgot or miscommunicated to contact me.
    twice should throw up a red flag for sure, there really is no excuse for that
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If they're not just being flaky, they may have an understaffed department, which could put up a red flag of a different nature - make sure you're not joining an over-worked, over-stressed team that is always struggling to catch up (I know, what IT department is not over-worked/stressed to some degree).
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Rikku wrote:
    also that they have good communication within thier organization and between thier business groups.

Man I would love to work for a company like that too. I had come to assume that they were just a college fable. Only exist in theory but not in the real world.

From the previous two candidates being shot down it is obvious what they are primarily looking for and that they have plans to extend their organisation in that direction. Yes your pi$$ed you are number 3 on the list but you can also assume that they are a very detemined company and sure of the person they want to hire. The other two just looked better on paper than you. No need for a hissy fit. You are a professional now and expecting people to fork out serious cash to pay for that fact every month.

I think your being harsh and letting your emotions get in the way of what, for a better word, is simply putting food on the table. Also kinda sounds that you already know this and feel you don't measure up to what they are asking for either and that annoys you even more.

If it's going to be that much grief, walk away. As you said... plenty more fish in the see although I think in our industry, we are going to see this kind of thing happening a lot more.

Or, you can read between the lines and see what they are after and target this directly as a good reason to employ you. I will let you figure out how to do that.

Kam.
    Business is never personal. It's just business ! There are far more real issues to be getting all uptight about.
    Kam.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think your being harsh and letting your emotions get in the way of what, for a better word, is simply putting food on the table. Also kinda sounds that you already know this and feel you don't measure up to what they are asking for either and that annoys you even more.

Well, I at least feel common courtesies should be kept to keep appointments or notify if the position has been filled or if they are not really interested...maybe that is asking too much...and if I did not measure up. There would be no point to even schedule an interview/phone screen. I just have never been stood up on interview appointments two times in a row and I found that very surprising.

Yes, at the end of the day, it is all business..and I completely get that.

Thanks for the comments. :)

-Rikku