Options

Just contacted by a recruitment agency..

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
They contacted me and want to setup an interview. I really like the position where I am at right now, but they are offering atleast 10k more a year. I dont need the money, but on the other hand it would be nice. I accepted a time and date for the interview, so we will see where it goes from there.

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Any interview is good experience !

You haven't said whether this interview is with the end client or jsut with the interviewer.

Remember a lot of recruiters like to suss out their "marks" . Also, it may be worth realising what 10k actually would mean to you in real terms. Take off the tax and divide by twelve.. You'll find many websites on google that will do this for you. The ask yourself, if the job turns out to be real and you do get offered it, is it actually worth it for you given the new circumstances ? Only you can answer this.

It is upto you to say yes or no and then live with the consequences. Worse case scenario, you get invaluable interview experience for nothing but a day off sick. /cough /cough

Kam.
    Oh and well done for being headhunted :) big up !
    Kam.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I agree with Kaminsky, make sure that you'll be meeting with the hiring manager at whatever firm you would be interviewing with. If it is just an interview with the recruiter himself/herself then it will just be a light chat about buzz words most likely preceded with filling out an application that discloses your life history. Then they'll never talk to you again nor return your calls. Yes my experience with recruiters is pretty poor.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Then they'll never talk to you again nor return your calls. Yes my experience with recruiters is pretty poor.

Yes, this is very common for a lot of recruitment agency types. Frankly, I consider most of them to be lower in the food chain than plankton.

Typical Conversation:
    Recruiter: I've got a great job I think you may be really interested in
    Me: Cool. What skills does it list as requirements?
    Recruiter: Oracle, Brain surgery, Chef skills, mechanic <insert random profession here>
    Me: You haven't actually read my cv/resume have you?
    Recruiter: Errrrrr
    *click*

For the sake of balance though, having said that if you can find a decent one they can be useful and like Kaminsky says any 'interview' is good experience. Hopefully it's with the hiring people so good luck.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have some interesting conversations w/ recruiters. One of them said "Hold on while I get my checklist out" and then went down a list of skills.

Either way- see what it is about and it can't hurt just taking an interview, the experience is always good to have.

Changing companies is a tough decision, especially if you like where you are now. If they take good care of you and you are gaining experience that is priceless. You may get hired for more money at a new company, but if they do not take care of you like where you are now, it really would not be worth it. Think about those things as you go through the process.

Good luck and keep us updated.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I have had great recruiters and really worthless recruiters. The good news is the worthless recruiters only waste your time once and you never hear from them again. Good recruiters are worth their weight in gold. Keep their number handy.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP