Options

Which route should I take in getting my degree?

NYtech11236NYtech11236 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have to pick 3 of the seven modules. Which three do you feel will be more beneficial?

Programming Design and UNIX
CST 3503/CS 503 Structured Program Design 3
CST 3603/CS 603 Object-Oriented Programming 3
CST 4703/CS 703 UNIX 3

Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
CST 3506/CS 506 Object-Oriented Systems Analysis 3
CST 3606/CS 606 Object-Oriented Systems Design 3
CST 4706/CS 706 Design of Object-Oriented Distributed Systems 3

Local Area Network
CST 3507/CS 507 Advanced Single-LAN Concepts 3
CST 3607/CS 607 Introduction to Local Area Network Connectivity 3
CST 4707/CS 707 LAN-Internet Connection 3

Client/Server Technology
CST 3508/CS 508 Design of Graphic User Interfaces 3
CST 3608/CS 608 Distributed Application Processing 3
CST 4708/CS 708 Client/Server Technologies 3

Database Systems Design
CST 3504/CS 504 Design of Microcomputer Databases 3
CST 3604/CS 604 Design of Distributed Databases 3
CST 4707/CS 704 Data Warehousing 3

Web Design
CST 3509/CS 509 Web Page Design and Implementation 3
CST 3609/CS 609 Web Programming 3
CST 4709/CS 709 Installing and Maintaining Web Servers 3

Information Security
CST 3510/CS 510 Computer Security 3
CST 3610/CS 610 Network Security Fundamentals 3
CST 4710/CS 710 Advanced Security Technologies 3

Comments

• Options
    btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What are you interested in? Do you lean more to hardware or software; networking or servers?
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum,

Well your going to have to give more information about yourself really. which area's interest you, what do you want to go on and eventually do etc?

I could pick a few but they would be probably more related to me than you.

So give us some more background info and we'll chip in with some advice.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What degree are you going for? Do you mind posting information about the school this is for? just interested.
  • Options
    My major is Computer Information Systems. I go the New York City College of technology.I like dealing with hardware. But if software is my best route ,I will take it. Just want to know what some of you guys think is best?
  • Options
    So according to the website you should have or will be taking some programming, hardware, and networking classes. Have you taken any of these already? If so, which ones did you enjoy more? If you haven't started the program yet, take some classes to get a feel for what you like and feel interested in. Then you could make a better decision on which path would best suit you.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I could tell you what my 3 picks would be but thats what I like...what is it your most passionate about? Hardware can mean a lot of different things...
  • Options
    I like dealing with networks.. I already have a good understanding of how networks work though.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    System Analysis and Design is always a good one -- A&D skills are needed in every facet of IT: from hardware to workflows to software development.

Then again, so is security :)
  • Options
    Is cobol really used today? I have to take two mandatory cobol courses next semester. I heard some people say its useless because its not even used. How true is this?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is cobol really used today? I have to take two mandatory cobol courses next semester. I heard some people say its useless because its not even used. How true is this?

COBOL was used pre Y2K. I'm sure there's still some companies reverting old program files to new ones. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is cobol really used today?

Just in CSci courses icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If you can only pick 3, I'd pick modules 1/3/7 to give you a good overall background. If you can add one, I'd add module 4 for client/server technology.
  • Options
    Now if I had to pick I would say Local Area Network, Information Security, and Web Design. The reason I would pick these is because I enjoy networking and I use to be a webmaster.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    A lot of financial companies (banks, mortgage, credit reporting, etc.) and governmental and military data processing facilities still use COBOL because of the mountains of legacy code they have. If the COBOL classes are mandatory for your degree then you gotta take them. But if you plan on making a living as a modern programmer, go with either Java or .NET (C#) and not with COBOL.