Options

Interesting Job Proposal

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Spoke with a recruiter today for a Sys Admin position for a local electronics company and school.

They have about 50 employees and an all WINTEL environment. Thier main sys admin is the only computer/tech in the whole company. He not only is thier sysadmin, but thier network engineer/helpdesk etc for the entire school/company. icon_eek.gif

Problem is, they want to fire the guy out of lack of trust for some reason. They state that they have no documentation whatsoever (Network Map,ISP info,Firewall Admin/User and Passwords etc.) They want to fire the guy and have the new guy start the same day. But, there is always the problem of the guy accessing the network after he leaves since he controlled everything.

I said I did not feel comfortable taking the position without a bit more access to at least be able to log into the Cisco routers/firewalls and restrict his access. But, even so my Cisco experience is limited and I am not sure if he may also have a back door somewhere. icon_rolleyes.gif

Would anyone else have accepted this without any information/documentation or structured environment. Just curious on your opinions...

-Rikku

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It sounded so like my current job here that I double-checked where you're at just to make sure! :D

I would explain to them that I would take the job but it may require a rebuild of things from the ground up if they can not get you any l/p info at all. It would be a good and interesting challenge and a great experience for you. If you immediately see ways to improve things it would be great to map out those ideas to management as well right then and there in the interview.

If they're not willing to accept that things may need to be rebuilt from scratch then I would walk.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd take it!

If that guy does something, it's not on your shoulders, and he's breaking the law. Just make sure that's clear up-front, and go for it! Hire a consultant to help you lock the things down that you're not familiar with. Sounds like a challenge!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Id take it as well. I walked into this job with no documentation and they fired my equivalent a week after I was hired. We had to clear out all his access to network equipment/servers/the building. It was quite a process to find everything, but very interesting. Then your boss will most likely have you document EVERYTHING. That's what happened to me.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd do it! Even if he does do something I see it as a challenge and I think building a map and documenting everything would be fun. I could be a kid in a candy store finding out how everything is set up.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    Better hope this guy isn't related to the Sys admin from California that run off with all the passwords.

I mean there are ways to recover all the passwords using loop arounds. Just be cautious and definitely check for weird accounts or anything. If you do accept the position the first day try to knock out all the password changes and contact the ISP and all the customer "schools" that you are now the one in charge.

If you do take it best of luck
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would take this opportunity as well, its really a great chance for you to do some good work and rebuilding an infrastructure would be one hell of an experience and a great thing to have on your resume.

As stated - talk to management about how you want to change the infrastructure and what you can do - that will be impressive.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Personally, I'd run away and not look back.
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounded so like my current job here that I double-checked where you're at just to make sure!

Undomiel - Would you like to confess something to us? Something to hide hmmm? hehehe
    Hire a consultant to help you lock the things down that you're not familiar with. Sounds like a challenge!

Dynamik - That is what I had initially suggested to the recruiter. I would start say the same day alongside maybe another Cisco canidate and secure the routers/firewalls and make sure I copy the running config. Then, make sure the company has a heads up with a consent agreement form for the old Admin to sign that he will not use or attempt access to company information or data for the legal aspect.

I think it could be fun. Especially if I could hire an college intern or helpdesk associate to handle minor calls/troubleshooting and then put in place a self-sustained enviroment. I told the recruiter that I am still interested, but to see if he can get more information.

It does indeed sound like a challenge..or a headache whichever way you want to look at it. (glass half full/half empty?) icon_rolleyes.gif

I have heard of similiar cases where one guy seems to be the only one that knows everything in the environment and has no documentation by design. That being said doesnt guarantee a secure position for the person in the organization. Maybe that is why the company wants to let him go, they keep asking for documentation and he will not produce it.

I will let you guys know if this goes any further. Thanks for the comments. :D

-Rikku
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    AND if anything does go wrong, you can just blame it on him icon_lol.gif

I knew what undomiel was saying, but when you put it like that, it does sound like he's worried about being replaced icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if I walked in one day to find myself fired. :D It would free up more time for job searching for a job that is worth a damn! I would pity the fool who is my replacement.

No I'm actually documenting around here, though I'm sure the boss doesn't know where the documentation is. Not my fault. I told her.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/