Options

Career Adivce

remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just started my job in the Finance Industry as a Systems Administrator dealing with Cisco & Juniper networking/network security.

I currently hold my CCNA and CCNP as well as my BSc in Information Technology.

I am thinking about the future and wondering what options others would recommend I take. I am currently in a Management training program within the company which does provide quite a bit of training through my time in the program. After talking to others within the company I have found that I can go to a well known IT program near by for a Masters in various IT areas in about 36 credits (12 classes). Basically, you graduate with a Masters in Management in Information Systems with whatever concentration you choose.

Being in a Financial firm, I have even heard of others more project management inclined to attempt to work on their MBA at NYU's polytechnic institute. This could be completed in something like 56 credits (around 19 classes).

Even with my technical background and current job, I feel I have the personality and soft skills to develop into a good manager (I am not trying to be over confident, just trying to present the whole situation), but will having an MBA increase the potential of my success within this industry as an IT? Is an MBA about equal to a Masters in MIS/MIT for someone like me? Most of my coworkers who are very technical do not have any aspirations for a masters in IT/IS or MBA. A few do not have college degrees which is fine, but as you can see I am not getting great advice that is very objective. I still have to discuss this with HR, friends who are recruiters for other companies, and my supervisors, I just would like some of your opinions.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll definitely want to go after a masters. That's probably the most beneficial thing you can do (aside from wrapping up that CCIE, of course! ;)). What are your long term goals? I think the IS degree will keep you in the IT arena while an MBA will be more flexible, but you might end up more on the business side of things. I don't think you can go wrong with either, so it really comes down to what you want to be doing in the future.
  • Options
    CCIE is on hold while I go for my management training. I will get access to my equipment to train on after the program. The company loves he ITIL and PMP certs, which is something my boss is urging me t work towards as well.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Wow, you're my hero. What's your day to day work like? How's the pay?
  • Options
    Well seeing how I just started, I mostly am training with other management trainees from all areas of the business. In about a month I start my full time role with my group dealing with planning/design, firewall configurations, switch configurations, router configurations, and everything needed for network management. The pay is not bad at all, about 60, but we also get large bonuses and such. We also get paid overtime on top of the salary.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Sounds amazing. Someday I hope to be in a job just like that, actually, more like the management position you're gunning for. :D
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Well...it depends on what you want to do ultimately. If you want to be in I.T. management like dealing with a budget, supervision, dealing with numbers, analyzing reports, etc., then I would say MBA would be a great masters degree. I'm currently in school for my MBA with a concentration in Technology Management. I'm not sure what a Masters in IT will teach you, but an MBA will teach you how to use the various ratios, budget forecasting, economical reasoning, analyzing a balance sheet, etc., etc. All of those business things a manager/executive (not supervisor) needs to be successful. The MBA is also more recognized.

Without knowing what the others are, I would say that if you are not interested in Management or doing the business side of I.T., I would say go with the Masters in IT. I would recommend this if you plan on being solely technical for the remainder of your career.

Just my quick 2 cents :) .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    I think I have decided on an MBA program. I am looking into NYU, Fordham, Marist College Online, NorthEastern University Online, Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey Institute of Technology, and Rutgers.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm a little late to chime in on this thread, but I agree with you. Do the MBA. It will be the most beneficial to you on the career path you're on. Good luck, let us know which school you decide on.