Which is more in demand, Security or AD

In reference to MCSE etc, which specialization is in more demand
currently, AD or Security. A very good argument can be made for either one, but which one
is the most marketable (at least for now).

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here are the results from www.monster.com

MCSE Security = 888 job postings
    MCSE Active Directory = 759 job postings

Statistics can be misleading, but security or lack there of always sells.
    -Daniel
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you asking about which design exam to take? There is no AD specialization, only security and messaging. From what I've seen, messaging is in more demand.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Regardless of which speciality you're planning on doing, I'd recommend taking 70-298 as your design exam, as opposed to 70-297. The security exam counts towards the stand-alone MCSE, as well as both MCSE: Security and MCSE: Messaging. The Active Directory design exam does not count towards MCSE: Security. Also keep in mind that you'll be learning a great deal about Active Directory administration in preparation for 70-294, so you're not left completely in the dark on AD topics.

As a side-note, you'll get a lot more out of the specialities as you work. It's going to be assumed that you know AD, that you know Exchange, and that you're up on security concepts, even if you're "just" an MCSE. My advice stands, go for the 70-298, and then decide if you want to pursue the Messaging and Security specialities seperately or if you want to move forward towards the Server 2008 and/or Exchange 2007 certifications. Regardless of which way you decide to go, I highly recommend you take the Vista exam as your desktop OS test, over the Windows XP exam, since the Vista test applies to both MCSE and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, as well as being a stand-alone cert that shows up on your transcript.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.