Options

have any been through this?

waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
Just wondering if any of you or anyone you know has been through this. A friend of mine gave his 2 weeks notice at his job, and his new job was doing a background check on him, and as soon as he gave his 2 weeks notice, they already had someone to replace him. but right at the end of the 2 weeks, he comes to find out he didnt pass the background check, so now the old job wont take him back sinse theres someone else,and the new says he didnt pass the background check for some reason.

just curious
when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.

Comments

• Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Heard of this happening before. That is why you don't give notice until you pass any background checks or other pre-employment screening; and you get an offer letter. That is just brass taxes.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    waltdee wrote:
    Just wondering if any of you or anyone you know has been through this. A friend of mine gave his 2 weeks notice at his job, and his new job was doing a background check on him, and as soon as he gave his 2 weeks notice, they already had someone to replace him. but right at the end of the 2 weeks, he comes to find out he didnt pass the background check, so now the old job wont take him back sinse theres someone else,and the new says he didnt pass the background check for some reason.

just curious

Ouch. I also know people that have given notice and then the other job fell through. There is nothing you can do if the old job won't take you back except to keep looking.

Personally, I would wait until the preliminary checks are complete and I have signed an official offer letter before I gave 2 weeks notice.

Could happen to anyone though.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes I agree with the above, always make sure you have the offer letter and background checks pass before putting in the two weeks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't give notice until I receive a hard start date. Its better to not put in the whole two weeks notice so you can wait it out rather than have the above happen.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did they say why he didn't pass the background check? Seems to me that if you were going to fail a background check, you would probably already know about something in your past that could affect your chance of passing.

I'd recommend your friend try to find out more about that - it could be something simple that he can rectify for the future - such as if it was something to do with his credit rating, debts, etc. A lot of IT jobs require background checks, so it would be to his benefit to find out what made him fail in case he wants to apply for other jobs down the line that require the same.
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    To take a job without knowing you had passed all their backgrounds and checks wasn't too wise. This scenario happened to me, too; a few months ago I had officially been offered a job over the phone, and I had an offer letter mailed to me to boot - which I accepted. This, however, was all pending their background check, which, as it turns out, I failed (they never told me why icon_mad.gif ). So - they wound up rescinding their job offer. I had never given notice at my current job, thank God, especially since that was now six months ago and I'm still looking. But at least I have a job.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Happens a lot. Many companies are now doing a basic background check and a 90 day back ground check. Especially in Banking.

So you can have your job for 89 days and on the 90th be fired for any reason they might discover.
    -Daniel