MCSA / Microsoft Cert General question

SlothX311SlothX311 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am reading up on the MCSA's and I find myself lost when it comes to the courses. If someone has the A+ and Net+ then the elective is mute, leaving the following: Exam 70–290, Exam 70–291, & Exam 70–270.

My question is, the courses on the link I provided... are they mandatory or can one just take the tests with knowledge from the job field?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/new.mspx

Comments

• texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    no the courses are not required but to pass the test I would suggest at least using some testprep software and reviewing ms press books
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Nope, none of the courses are mandatory, only recommended. Most of us either took classes elsewhere or studied on our own. You're in good shape, in terms of understanding what you need to do, so I say get a book or two for review and get to work on those tests. Just remember, though, that the A+/Network+ combo only satisfies the elective requirement for MCSA, not MCSE. Security+ works for both MCSA and MCSE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SlothX311SlothX311 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tyvm for all the help after my MCSA cert this fall I will buy vouchers for my security+ and server+

the courses are a bit pricey for the MCSA eh? I took one look and said "if that's how much 1 course is...screw that"
  • SlothX311SlothX311 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    another question...

do microsoft certs expire? I know you can update them for instance take 2 exams to go from 2000 MCSA to 2003 MCSA but does the 2003 MCSA ever just flat out expire?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It gets retired when the technology is retired but no they never actually expire. No renewals needed. It is just a good idea to upgrade and keep current.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/