My 1st Blue screen guys!!! need some advice

motivemotive Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
am working on this hp Compaq presario that has a sata drive but i got the blue screen....i try to repair it with the OS but its not working can anyone give me some advice on how to reformat this compurter by deleting the old files by formatting a new drive??

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have the installation/recovery media? Just boot of off that and go through the setup program. You'll probably lose everything on the drive though, so you should put the drive in another machine and get everything you need off of it before you start.
  • motivemotive Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    only thing i have is a xp recovery disk....
  • motivemotive Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ERROR *****I RUN A CHECK DISK IT SAY THAT THE VOUME APPEARS TO CONTAIN ON OR MORE UNRECOVERABLE PROBLEMS...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON RECOVER THIS PROBLEMS
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like a bad hard drive.

Run a disk checking utility on it like IBM/Hatachi's DFT, it's free you just burn it to a CD and boot.

Sometimes in those Compaq/HP machines they have a utility in the BIOS called the "DST Test" or "Drive Self test" which does the same thing. Let us know!
    -Daniel
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) Hard drive physically still good? Download the diagnostic software utilize from the manufacturer of the hard drive and run it. Passes?

2) OS only, some recovery discs depend on the hidden partition that is located on the hard drive. If the hard drive has definitely gone bad, you'll need to talk to the manufacturer of the computer to get the supplementary disc to restore that portion of the partition that is no longer available. Then again at this point, you'll need to most likely replace the hard drive too if that recovery partition failed. Something must have seriously gone wrong... Try running a diagnostic scan on that hard drive from the hard drive manufacturer to be safe like in option #1.

3) If adding a new hard drive, it will depend on whether the recover disc needs a recovery partition or not in order to restore to. Some hard drives need a Primary partition to be setup prior to formatting and being ready for OS install.

I think we'd need a little more info. It depends on the computer, how the recovery process was designed by Compaq, and what the intended repair outcome is to be.
  • samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where I work we have a lot of compaq/hp computers and laptops. Now if it is a laptop a constant problem we have is that when we image the laptop (and it has a SATA HD) we have to go into the BIOS and disable SATA Native mode. That clears up everything..for us anyways.

Also the blue screen we get is a constant looping retstart one.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    What changes did you make to the computer just prior to the blue screen occurring? A driver update? Or did this occur for seemingly no reason? And how old is the hard drive?

From your description, this sounds like a the kind of problem that Spinrite fixes.