What pets have you owned and what do you own now?

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
I used to have three cats when I lived with parents long ago but haven't had any pets since. icon_sad.gif

And hey, gotta keep this trendy topic thing going. :)
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had a ton ton of pets, snakes tarantulas, scorpions, birds, fish, sugar gliders, mice, rats, cats and dogs. Currently have two cats and two dogs (German shepherd and a black lab).
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cat: my moms cat when she was a kid, died when I was really young
    Fish: when I moved out of my parents house, I bought a 40 gallon tank and a bunch of freshwater fish. I was fun until you had to clean it icon_sad.gif
    Dog: Border collie. Wifes family dog but I trained it (long story). Left with mother in law so she wasnt alone. I miss having a dog around
    Tortises: My wife had 2 Russian tortoises. They were her family pets, but I again was involved
    Cat: Bought as a gift for wife. By far the most laid back cat and very entertaining to watch.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a snow-white boxer and a chihuahua-pom cross. The boxer's dead now, lived about 10 years, really really ferocious towards other dogs and humans alike except family members.
    I wont have any more pets after the pom, because when they die, it's a real heartbreak icon_cry.gif

P.S. No exotic pets for me, I cant think of having tarantulas, frogs or snakes or anything other than dogs.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I had a Black Lab last year but he got cancer and we had to put him down icon_cry.gif They are great dogs but its sad when they get older and start getting arthritis.

Also had some corn snakes but had to sell them off when moving to a smaller place, they were kinda of a hassle also. But that could be true with just about any type of pet.

No more pets right now, with school and work it wouldn't get much attention.

Never had any cats but they can be entertaining if you get lucky and find a energetic one. Can't stand lazy cats that get fat and sit around though.
    Found two stray hungry kittens and thought about keeping them because they were so cute but we sent them to animal control anyways.
  • IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was young, I had two Chow Chows..... icon_cry.gif

When I got a bit older, we got a guinea pig, but that was actually for my sisters.. they didn't take care of it so I ended up taking care of it, but my mom sold it cause they didn't take care of it and I was about to leave for the military.

Well, now, I'm in Japan.. My wife has this 9 year old black lab. She likes to keep it in the house. I hate having it in the house. Big @$$ dog like that in the house. When we were children, I kept the chows in the house cause they were puppies. When they got older, they had to go outside. If my wife had a smaller dog, I wouldn't mine as much, but this dog... Ugh.. Hair everywhere.. gets on the couch and lays down.. I won't even sit on the couch anymore. I'm still devising ways to get rid of it without laying blame on myself..

I'm tired of it cause I constantly sneeze cause of the hair that it sheds and I can't stand the smell of it. No matter how much she washes, it still stinks.. LOL

I was just thinking though.. if she had chows, then I'd be fine with them being in the house.
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Two yapping Yorkshire Terriers (ankle biters :) )
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Past:
    Fish - 65 gal, 20 gal and 12 gal tanks, was fun but like snadam said - then you have to clean it - found someone who enjoyed that part too to take it on
    Rabbits - this was 10 years ago, i have no idea what my girlfriend (now wife) and I were thinking

Currently I have a dog (Boston Terrier) and a cat (DSH tabby - SPCA save) and I'm good with that. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    We were always cat-people. Had several cats when I was very young, then only one when I was a little older. My brother had a parakeet. After moving to the US, I kept goldfish for a few years, then a certain little calico lady found her way into the family. (Her mother was a wildcat that used to come to our patio and drop off kittens for safekeeping, as well as get fed.) A few years later, a friend gave us a kitten that became a gift for my mother's birthday. We called this little guy "Tiny", since was the runt and was small enough to curl up inside my hand. Of course, when he grew up, he was 16 lbs. of husky kitty-muscle, and long enough to stand on his hind legs and peek over the kitchen counter. He wasn't all too clever, and could get lost in the living room, which led him to sit and cry until Kise, (the slender little female cat,) would go get him and bring him with her to lay down.

Sadly, Tiny died of a urinary infection about two years ago. He was a sweet cat, very friendly, but his immune system wasn't all too strong. He died peacefully, in his sleep, while being petted. Kise, on the other hand, is pushing 15, and currently calls every piece of furniture I own her domain. To this day, she runs around, plays, demands attention, and behaves as if though she was a third her age. Well, I should mention that her "real" name is Cleopatra, but we always called her Kise, and it stuck. (The word "kise" is the equivalent of "kitty" in Swedish.)

And as I'm sure Mike can attest to, the cats have always had an affinity for 'helping' with my computer work. Right at this moment, Kise is curled up, asleep, on top of my 2950 switch.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We used to have 13 cats at my parents house. We got rid of them a while ago.

I don't have any pets. My g/f wants a dog and cat real soon.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mishra wrote:
    We used to have 13 cats at my parents house.

13 cats!!! Must be quite a zoo!! (no offense intended)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    I'm really a pet lover and so do my wife and my kid.

Presently we have 2 puppies and one fat cat (he's obese and he's eating my dog's food). A black labrador and cute mongrel.

My wife also have a Love bird and believe me it's talking, He can say "hello" so I managed to teach him to say "hello sexy" followed by a sexy whistle. Now it makes me think birds can tell a lie cause he always say it to my wife..lol.

We also keep gold fishes. I used to have albino catfish that looks like a hammer head shark but now its dead ( cat ate it). I do believe keeping pets at home relieves stress. Pet lovers are of the kind type? most likely i think. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    3 cats all of them rescues. We love our cats but some mornings we do want to hang them up by their toes. The wife keeps bugging for a dog but that won't happen until we are moved into a much nicer apartment.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My wife and I are actually getting our first pet in two weeks. It's cockapoo. Any advice to a first time puppy owner?
    gojericho0 wrote:
    My wife and I are actually getting our first pet in two weeks. It's cockapoo. Any advice to a first time puppy owner?

cockapoo? what breed of dog do you want? I suggest you get a puppy not younger than 6 weeks old. Go to your vet and get them for deworming and vaccination.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Two cats. I also have a 72 gallon aquarium. I recently switched from salt-water to fresh water, and I guess I got a couple of male and female guppies in this last batch because they're breeding. It was cute seeing the little fish at first, but now they've turned into a gigantic swarm! I also have a huge Pleco in there as well. He's about a foot long now. It seems like such a monster compared to all the others. He's an algae-eater though, so they coexist peacefully.
    Pleco? We call that janitor fish here. Yeah it's nice looking specially the butterfly breeds.
  • he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    used to have:

Dog at my parents (Border collie)
    Chinese water Dragon - Left him with my little bro when i moved out of home
    Cat with my ex-fiance - thankfully when she went so did the cat

Now:
    Adopted my mates dog (american pit cross)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gojericho0 wrote:

cockapoo? what breed of dog do you want? I suggest you get a puppy not younger than 6 weeks old. Go to your vet and get them for deworming and vaccination.

It will be 8 weeks when we receive it. I want a cockapoo just because I am not allergic to it :)
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Lot's of dogs and cats in the past.

Currently:
    Black cat rescued from local humane society -- great cat, but sort of aloof, he like to be in the room with us, but not held.

Yellow Lab/Shepard mix -- great watch dog, no-one comes in the backyard unless we're home, but she's mellow as can be in the front yard, or on a walk.

Husky/Wolf mix - rescued from humane society -- very friendly although most people are hesitant to go near him as the wolf is very evident. Ironic as I don't think he'd hurt a fly.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Affe vom Lawhorn UDX, MX, MXJ aka "Tex"
    Jun1006061.jpg
    textire2.jpg
    TexAF.jpg
    Dart & Arrow
    Jun2106007.jpg
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    dynamik wrote:
    Two cats. I also have a 72 gallon aquarium. I recently switched from salt-water to fresh water, and I guess I got a couple of male and female guppies in this last batch because they're breeding. It was cute seeing the little fish at first, but now they've turned into a gigantic swarm! I also have a huge Pleco in there as well. He's about a foot long now. It seems like such a monster compared to all the others. He's an algae-eater though, so they coexist peacefully.
    72 gallons of guppies?!

You'll end up with like 5,000 of them... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    72 gallons of guppies?!

You'll end up with like 5,000 of them... icon_rolleyes.gif

Like I said, I also have a couple of cats. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end...
    dynamik wrote:
    Like I said, I also have a couple of cats. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end...
    Ah yes, dinner.

What kind of Pleco is he? Just a common, or one of the other species (Tiger, Zebra, etc)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have an english bulldog she's 1 1/2 yrs old and not fixed yet, so she humps everything she can find, I used to have a saltwater tank, but everything died cause I moved out of the apartment.

I love cats, used to have 3 of them when I was a kid, but cannot have them anymore atm, cause my GF has an asthma, it's been tough having a dog in the US cause they are like babies, unlike in my country we just let them run around and they comeback home when they are hungry :)
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a really good looking German Shepard supertechCETma. I am jealous.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Let’s see….since I was little, I have had:

Fish
    Hamster
    Dogs
    Cats
    Turtles
    Rabbits

Currently have 3 cats that do nothing!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2 Black Cats we adopted from the SPCA.

They give us lots of entertainment.

-Rikku
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love cats :P my cats back then we're very old and terrorize alleys and roof...
  • VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey,
    My dog can subnet. He can only do it on paper though icon_lol.gif
    Victorious
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good lord, I forgot that there are pictures of my furry little spaceheater out there. My roommate's got a thing for photography:

Kise1
    Nom Nom Nom (Yup, that's me being chewed on.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.