Options

got an interview in 4 hrs time pls help

ffazeffaze Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been to several interviews and am being ask to say a little about myself.. Sometimes from the facial expression of some interviewers i realize am not answering that particular question as they expected, so then i want to know should that question be asked, do u start talking about your family background to ones attitude and career or what ?, what do they really wanna hear.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had an interview once where they were asking a lot of weird questions. They try to be tricky but they don't realize that their question might be related to one situation where they had time to troubleshoot the problem at one time.

They asked,

"If a service on a machine needs to be restarted, and you try and restart it but it won't stop, what do you do?" Well I asked them any error messages and they said no (which is probably incorrect). I said I would check the logs and see what kind of messages have been logged for further troubleshooting. But that's not the answer they were looking for, so they say "Well there are no messages. What do you do now?". lol So I said I would look for the process and end it in task manager. Well "But you try and end it and it says access denied" he says. "Access denied?". The entire time they were trying to squeeze the "I would use pskill" out of me but thats just not the situation the way they were describing it.

So sometimes you just can't win. There are personality clashes, bad questions, weird people. These are the companies you wouldn't want to work for anyways.

**So here is the main things you should remember. You want to answer the question beyond the necessary amount. And if you don't know the answer, then make sure you give a method to get to the answer.

If it isn't a bad interview, then I'm usually rambling on and on about different subjects. You need to be the one talking, not them trying to get answers out of you. And rambling doesn't mean that I'm talking about the dog that I lost last summer. For example, if they ask me what do I know about exchange, I am going to tell them all kinds of situations I've been in, training I've taken, problems I've encountered, and so on.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a question that will come up in most interviews- "So tell me about yourself."

You should talk about your career or past experiences related to the job you are interviewing for. You do not talk about your family or anything like that.

It really should be a 2-3 minute summary of who you are and why you are the best candidate for this job. It always good to throw examples in there as well. After you are done you can ask if they would like more details and if so, bring up some more experiences w/ examples.

Good luck
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    sharptech wrote:
    This is a question that will come up in most interviews- "So tell me about yourself."

You should talk about your career or past experiences related to the job you are interviewing for. You do not talk about your family or anything like that.

It really should be a 2-3 minute summary of who you are and why you are the best candidate for this job. It always good to throw examples in there as well. After you are done you can ask if they would like more details and if so, bring up some more experiences w/ examples.

Good luck

In a job where security was an issue, I once mentioned that I came from a two parent christian household where both my parents were teachers, and instilled in me a sense of right and wrong from an early age. In some cases, I guess you can mention family if it's to make a point.
  • Options
    sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□

In a job where security was an issue, I once mentioned that I came from a two parent christian household where both my parents were teachers, and instilled in me a sense of right and wrong from an early age. In some cases, I guess you can mention family if it's to make a point.

Right, as long as it will help you in the interview and you are showing something of value to who you are interviewing with then it will be good to say, but rambling on about something that they really do not care about will not go well for you :P
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Give them a short review of your current career history and then follow it up with a question about the job duties or what specific problems they are currently having that they need to get taken care of. Then run away with it from there that way you have quiet control of the interview and are discussing how you can do the job at hand.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    Just *briefly* tell them about your education, experience, certifications and any hobbies you have that are related to your job. Don't get into your personal or family life because they generally aren't allowed to ask you about those details, so there's no need to volunteer that information.