Iphone connecting to Exchange Server

I have a problem I am trying to implement OMA for use with my iphone. I have configured OMA and checked the AD account and exchange features has the mobile access as granted. Now when i configure the iphone it will not download the email. What am I missing? is it Exchange active sync? please help
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OMA and Activesync are two entirely different things. OMA is a text version of webmail that is more like OWA, while ActiveSync is a mail client that runs on your phone that is more like Outlook.

    Which one are you intending to do?
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Also, ensure you're running SP2 if E2K3, and SP1 if E2K7.
    Good luck to all!
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    blargoe wrote:
    OMA and Activesync are two entirely different things. OMA is a text version of webmail that is more like OWA, while ActiveSync is a mail client that runs on your phone that is more like Outlook.

    Which one are you intending to do?

    OMA- Outlook Mobile Access and Exchange Active sync are for connecting your mobile phone and pda's to exchange. I am sorry but you are wrong about its more like OWA. I have include a link for your review http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/OMA_Exchange_Server_2003.html
    On the road to MCITP......
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No he's not wrong. OMA is a text-based OWA for usage on your mobile phone. ActiveSync is an Outlook type of application that synchronizes parts of your inbox.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    royal wrote:
    No he's not wrong. OMA is a text-based OWA for usage on your mobile phone. ActiveSync is an Outlook type of application that synchronizes parts of your inbox.

    But he was saying OMA and Activesync are two entirely different things.
    "OMA is a text version of webmail that is more like OWA, while ActiveSync is a mail client that runs on your phone that is more like Outlook."

    Active Sync is also and exchange service that runs with OMA for mobile phone email usage. The active sync he and you are talking about is the email software on the mobile phone. OMA is not an text based OWA its a text based OWA for "Mobile Phone" Connectivity to exchange. Am i wrong?

    Also no offense to anybody if you took it that way there is plenty of times that I am wrong and someone says you are wrong!!!
    On the road to MCITP......
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    blargoe wrote:
    OMA and Activesync are two entirely different things. OMA is a text version of webmail that is more like OWA, while ActiveSync is a mail client that runs on your phone that is more like Outlook.

    Which one are you intending to do?

    OMA- Outlook Mobile Access and Exchange Active sync are for connecting your mobile phone and pda's to exchange. I am sorry but you are wrong about its more like OWA. I have include a link for your review http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/OMA_Exchange_Server_2003.html[/quote\]

    Also let me change that he is not wrong in the fact that its more like OWA but in the fact that OMA and Activesync are two entirely different things.

    Sorry bout that
    On the road to MCITP......
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well the whole entirely two different things are both correct and wrong. It just depends on how you look at it.

    They are completely different applications
    They both achieve the same function, to check your mail
    One synchronizes mail while the other does not
    They both use different directories in IIS

    Like I said, it just depends on how you look at it. But I look at it as they are two separate ways to get your e-mail.

    One thing to keep in mind is that there are a ton of people who think OMA and ActiveSync are the same thing. So a lot of Exchange people who actually know the difference will say they're two completely different things to set the record straight.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    royal wrote:
    Well the whole entirely two different things are both correct and wrong. It just depends on how you look at it.

    They are completely different applications
    They both achieve the same function, to check your mail
    One synchronizes mail while the other does not
    They both use different directories in IIS

    Like I said, it just depends on how you look at it. But I look at it as they are two separate ways to get your e-mail.

    One thing to keep in mind is that there are a ton of people who think OMA and ActiveSync are the same thing. So a lot of Exchange people who actually know the difference will say they're two completely different things to set the record straight.

    I agree with what you are saying but his comment was they are totally different because one is the text version of owa and the other is basically outlook for a phone. He is not saying they are exchange services that are different because they have the same objective which is connecting mobile phones but are totally different services.
    On the road to MCITP......
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think he was more just trying to figure out what you were using so he could answer your question instead of trying to provide a comprehensive comparison between the two.
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Ok nevermind I will try to keep my questions to relating to the exam. I understand what everybody is saying. But nobody is looking at the fact that he is comparing an exchange server function to a phone function!
    On the road to MCITP......
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Didn't mean to start an argument... like royal said, depends on how you look at it.

    Just one more point, yes OMA is designed for use one your mobile phone, but technically, it is just text based webmail... try accessing it from a web browser on a PC, it works exactly the same as it does on the phone. It is just stripped down for nicer rendering on the phone.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Ok nevermind I will try to keep my questions to relating to the exam. I understand what everybody is saying. But nobody is looking at the fact that he is comparing an exchange server function to a phone function!

    I gotta be honest. I looked back at your original post, and I can't tell what you're trying to do. You say OMA, then mention ActiveSync in the same post. Why are you getting on blargoe when you absolutely were not clear what you were doing - OMA or ActiveSync?

    If you're asking for help because you can't get something to work, don't tell people they're wrong. blargoe's explanation and request to clarify which you are using - OMA or ActiveSync, as well as his basic description of the differences of the two are spot on.

    Help us help you, and describe what exactly you're trying to do, and we'll help. Telling someone he's wrong when he's not doesn't help anything.
    Good luck to all!
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Blargoe I apologize if I offended you but you were talking about the phone function "ActiveSync" and not the exchange service. I actually figured it out on my own anyway It was IIS why activesync was not working. Everybody was to focused on me saying you were wrong then to actually look at the post. Then only reason i was saying you were wrong is because Active sync again is also an exchange service. So when you asked me what i was trying to do i was basically trying to correct what you were saying and not Offend.

    You guys really like banded together and jumped on me about what i said but nobody really read his post for what it was. which he obviously confused which active sync service i was talking about. when my post was clearly about exchange functionality as it pertains to mobile phone email usage
    On the road to MCITP......
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Ok nevermind I will try to keep my questions to relating to the exam. I understand what everybody is saying. But nobody is looking at the fact that he is comparing an exchange server function to a phone function!

    I gotta be honest. I looked back at your original post, and I can't tell what you're trying to do. You say OMA, then mention ActiveSync in the same post. Why are you getting on blargoe when you absolutely were not clear what you were doing - OMA or ActiveSync?

    I dont see how

    "I have a problem I am trying to implement OMA for use with my iphone. I have configured OMA and checked the AD account and exchange features has the mobile access as granted. Now when i configure the iphone it will not download the email. What am I missing? is it Exchange active sync? please help"

    Granted at the time I believed OMA and Exchange active sync possibly worked hand and hand. Which was wrong i will admit But I was asking if there was a step missing why OMA would not work. So I figured Exchange Active Sync was that missing step. Which was the question
    On the road to MCITP......
Sign In or Register to comment.