Options

Router on a stick question

ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
I just saw this post of mike's in another thread, and I'd like to see if I get this. . .
Yes. They would need a switch that supports VLANs and the knowledge to configure it properly. The port the DSL modem was plugged into would only share a VLAN with a subinterface from the router (via it's trunk configuration to the switch). They may also need to switch from a straight through cable from the DSL Modem to a crossover cable to use with the switch.

So what you're saying is to create a vlan with exactly one port on the switch, right? Then, you set up router on a stick between your internet vlan and your 'others' vlan.

The subinterface that the internet feed connects to gets dhcp and the subinterface that the rest of your network connects to gets some private internal address. There wouldn't be any additional issues for configuring NAT (it would be as normal, right).

Would there be any performance issues from this setup?
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is correct. I have mine setup like that right now. You do have to have a router with at least a IP Plus feature set (to support router on a stick) and it also has to be version 12.2 or later (to support ip add dhcp in the ethernet).
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    Well, I'm all set then. Thanks for the confirmation :)
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.