Options

vmware and windows server 2008?

have vmware version 1.0.1 build-29996 on my xp machine. i installed windows 2003 server on the vmware. but now i have a windows server 2008 cd. i want to install it on vmware to mess around with it. but on the vmware, when i select the os to install, 2003 is the latest.

questions:
1. can i pick the 2003 server as the drop down selection for my windows 2008 server install?
2. if not, does the latest vmware has windows server 2008 as the latest install?

thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I assume you're using VMware server. There's a beta of version 2 as well as a beta version of workstation 6.5 you could try.
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
    dynamik wrote:
    I assume you're using VMware server. There's a beta of version 2 as well as a beta version of workstation 6.5 you could try.

yeah i'm using vmware server. is the beta version free and what are the limit? why can't i just select the 2003 drop down list instead? is 2008 that much difference from 2003 on the vmware settings? also what is the minimun amount of space do i need for 2008?
  • Options
    I think you need something like 10-12gb for a Server 2008 installation. You can try selecting 2003 from the drop-down. The worse that'll happen is the machine won't load.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The key isn't the drop down its the VMware Tools that are installed inside the guest. You'll need WS6.5 or Server 2.0 beta (RC1 is out now) so that you have VMware Tools for 2008.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I think you need something like 10-12gb for a Server 2008 installation. You can try selecting 2003 from the drop-down. The worse that'll happen is the machine won't load.

10-12 gb...r u kidding me? 2003 only took up like 4 gb from my machine and it didn't even use up the whole 4 gb!!!!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yup its big.

VMware server is free as is the beta.

Workstation costs around $200, but there is a 30 day eval.
  • Options
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Yup its big.

VMware server is free as is the beta.

Workstation costs around $200, but there is a 30 day eval.

how come vmware server is free? isnt the full version paid? and why would u need workstation, when the vmware server allow u to install xp, linux and other wokstation os on it?
  • Options
    Just a difference in features. Download the demo/beta and play around with it to see it would be worth the money for you.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When using 64 Bit though make sure you have VT enabled in your bios otherwise you won't be able to install x64 Server 2008 ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    The drop down is just going to give you the recommended VM settings. You can live without the VMWare tools, but they are worthwhile. 2008 Server is as big as a Vista install because it is loaded with tons of stuff that you will never use especially the new GUI, which in 2008 is in classic mode by default, but still taking up space.

edit: http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html

Have fun!