Options

I really need some input.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I posted this on another forum I frequent, so I'm just going to give a shortened version. I'll fill in any gaps as people reply, if necessary.

I was basically told tonight that I could work in Canada, doing iron work, starting at $29 an hour, going up to $39 depending on time worked, experience, blah...

I've worked construction before, with the same company. More specifically, I've done iron work before. I have no qualms being up a hundred feet on a beam no wider than my foot is long, it's never bothered me much. In all honesty, I love it. I love the work, I love most of the people, I love the atmosphere, I love the sense of accomplishment.

Obviously there is much to think about, as this would be a complete career shift. I would obviously be leaving IT behind. And while I love IT, I also love construction, project management, iron work, etc. I grew up around it and I love it almost as much as IT. I would still study for certs, but my skills would rapidly diminish when I wasn't exposed to an IT environment each day.

One of my biggest concerns is "what if". What if I decide, after 5 years let's say, that I want to return to the U.S. and do IT work. I would assume that gap in my resume would be an immediate, huge red flag to most employers, especially given the field I would be coming from. I guess it's often looked down upon for an IT guy or college grad to do that "dirty, demeaning work". Heh...

I also wonder if I wouldn't just leave IT behind. Maintaining a love for it, but doing it as a hobby. Like I said, I am one of those people who would be happy in multiple fields, for a career. I love many things in life.

I just feel this could be a fantastic opportunity to get rid of my debt, provide for myself and girlfriend, while at the same time basically setting me for life if I choose to stay in that field. I have no doubts that the contacts I would make up there, working around my step dad, would lead me to a very, very well paying job within 10-15 years.

I did a little rough estimating and figured I would be bringing home, after taxes, around $350 a week more than what I do now. I would nearly double my base pay.

I am 25 years old. Do you know how many 25 year olds I know that don't even make $350 a week? I feel it will take me anywhere from 5-10 years to make that same $25,000 increase in IT.

I just almost feel like it's the person I am, like just maybe, this is the opportunity I've been waiting for.

But I guess it could also be a major screw up. I know no one can answer this but me, and the offer is on the table indefinitely, for the most part. At least for another year or two.

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Its always good having a backup career, I would probably do it if i enjoyed the work and got paid so much more.
    You can still do some self study in your spare time, and pick up certs etc. If you get bored of the iron work after 6 months - 1 year, you can always head back to I.T
  • Options
    I wouldn't get bored of it, I'm confident of that. I thoroughly enjoyed it before and I'm still proud of the projects I worked on then. I always say I would love to do it again. In all honesty, after 5-10 years, I would most likely be in a project management position, traveling over the U.S.

I've got to talk to my step dad and get the details on all of that.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry man, after you break 1000 posts, you're in it for life ;)

While a five year gap is generally not looked upon favorably, I think it's worse in IT. In my opinion, the best and worst aspect (depending on your perspective) of IT is the rate of change. If you're out of it for five years, you're going to be way behind. That's at least one product cycle, if not two. If you later decided to get back into IT, you're basically going to be starting over, most likely in terms of knowledge as well as whatever position you'd able to obtain at a company.

I don't think your 5-10 year estimate is accurate though. I don't see why you couldn't make equal gains with some more certs and experience much sooner than that.

Just make sure you have an opportunity to move into project management or something like that down the road. There's nothing wrong some manual labor while you're young, but your body will be in rough shape a couple of decades later. I know a few people personally that have done it all their lives and their having to have major surgeries done in their mid-40s. One of them can't even lift anything over 25 or 35 pounds with one arm. Even though you're comfortable with it, there's still a lot more risk than sitting behind a desk. It's one thing to do something like that when you're single, but what if the girlfriend turns into a wife and you end up with a couple of kids. Would you still want to be doing that? I'd weigh my options carefully, and I wouldn't put too much emphasis on short term financial gains.

I'm not trying to influence you one way or another. If you have something you'd rather be doing, go for it. More work for me ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    It's one thing to do something like that when you're single, but what if the girlfriend turns into a wife and you end up with a couple of kids. Would you still want to be doing that? I'd weigh my options carefully, and I wouldn't put too much emphasis on short term financial gains.

She very well may, minus the kids! icon_lol.gif It's something I will talk over with her if I begin to lean towards doing it.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I really would have no intention of doing that in another 5-10 years, and chances are good that I could move into project management after a couple. It's been offered before, but at the time I just didn't see the possible benefits of it.

In all honesty, I realize that the reality of the situation will be much like you described. Most likely I will have to completely start over in IT, if it is even practically possible. But again, who knows how that would go, I may never turn my back. I guess that's the risk, huh?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    What I'd suggest if you want to take the job, keep up your IT enthusiasm, and keep yourself marketable in the IT world is to work on theory certs. Design certs are mostly theory and don't require you to remember what command to type in to implement NAT, for example. It's a lot of theory and would be a lot easier for you to study and keep up with while doing iron work.

Go for what you love and don't compromise. Do both if you want to.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't tell you what you love or what you should do.

But it seems like the biggest motiviation factor here is money. So I still try to keep on that subject.

I definitely wouldn't switch careers for any amount of time just to make some quick money. If you are looking to make the most money then you need to stick to 1 career for a good amount of time. Think about an IT manager. He has 3 choices, the guy that has 5 years of fresh experience, you who has 3-5 years of old experience and a 3 year career gap, or the guy that has 15 years of old experience with a 5 year career gap. You definitely will be counted out.

I'm 23 and I'm making the kind of money you are talking about. There are also lots of other individuals on this forum that have the same kind of success stories. So I wouldn't leave because you think it is going to take you a long time to make good money. You might be able to pull off great money is 1-2 depending on how you work at it.

The only other factor here IT can provide is job stability.

Good luck.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never been in construction but I know people that have and it always comes down to this:

1) will your hours you work be consistent? I always hear about these types of jobs having no work for weeks on end, so that $29/hr doesn't mean much if you aren't constantly working.

2) Do you want to do this type of work when you are older? I've been told this type of work takes a toll on the body and I can't imagine it will be any easier at 45, 50, 55, etc.

3) Do you have potential to ever make more than the $29/$39 an hour, or will that rate more or less stick with you throughout your career? In comparison to the potential of what you can make working in IT you might want to consider this.

Just some other angles to look at...either way, good luck! :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    I say get out. The field is cluttered and it doesn't look to be improving anytime soon. You've got a great opportunity to do something you love and get paid more take it. I think if you want to, you can keep your skills up to date and reenter the field if the opportunity/desire presents itself.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The field is cluttered and it doesn't look to be improving anytime soon.

Do you have any sources for this? As far as I know IT is still in the top of the fastest growing fields with more jobs than qualified individuals.

Network and computer systems administrators are projected 27% growth in the next 10 years while structural iron and steel workers are projected only 6% growth over the next 10 years*. Just something to think about....

*source - Bereau of Labor Statistics-Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    The field is cluttered and it doesn't look to be improving anytime soon.

Do you have any sources for this? As far as I know IT is still in the top of the fastest growing fields with more jobs than qualified individuals.

Network and computer systems administrators are projected 27% growth in the next 10 years while structural iron and steel workers are projected only 6% growth over the next 10 years*. Just something to think about....

*source - Bereau of Labor Statistics-Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition

Not really, just real world experience and conversations with those around me in the field. The question I would ask, is how the number of jobs is growing in relation to the number of individuals entering the field. That is a critical point that your statistics don't address. But the availability of jobs varies from location to location so what I say may not be relevant to his particular location. BTW, /usr .... what are you qualifications, current job, current salary, prospects for promotion etc? You haven't really told us much about what you actually do.