Crap! Computer just ran out of smoke...

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am convinced that computers run off of smoke... Because once you let it out they never run again. Seems it was time for mine to die. Just got done testing the parts with a spare motherboard I have laying around and the things that ran out of smoke were the motherboard and one of the video cards.

RIP M2N32SLi-Deluxe and 7600GT... You served me well for about a year and a half.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No way. That screams of a power problem/spike. Might want to look at replacing the PS if I were you.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    No way. That screams of a power problem/spike. Might want to look at replacing the PS if I were you.

Well there are a few factors involved that I have not mentioned... One is that I have had a heat issue forever. Mainly because I have so much crap crammed into my case. But it is literally over 100F in the room right now (dropping fast since my box died though). I turned the A/C off today so with all the other gear (two other boxes, 1 CRT, 4 flat panels, 3 routers, a big switch and two lava lamps :D ) in here (second floor of the house too) running it was a tad hot to say the least.

I really think it was the video card that took out the MB though. Right before I heard a pop and everything die (it's amazing how quite it gets when 11 fans stop spinning) I say the temp on the card that died jump.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Ah never mind then. I didn't realize you were working in a sauna. icon_lol.gif

That's sucks though. That was your test box I assume (since you're still online)
    astorrs wrote:
    Ah never mind then. I didn't realize you were working in a sauna. icon_lol.gif

That's sucks though. That was your test box I assume (since you're still online)

Nope, that was my main box. I am on my eeepc now. I mainly use this to study with and thank god I have all much current study material on it already.

I'll probably end up finally splitting my box up into a few boxes. Inside was:

M2N32SLi-Deluxe Wireless Edition motherboard
    8GB DDR2
    AMD X2 5600+ Dual core
    2 XFX 7600GT video cards
    TV Tuner card
    1 DVD Burner
    Ultra 600W power supply
    1 250GB PATA hard drive
    1 250GB SATA II hard drive
    5 500GB SATA II hard drives
    2 3.5" Floppy drives
    11 Fans

Working on it was a serious PITA and it always did run quite hot. This gives me an excuse to buy new goodies though :D And man it has cooled off a ton already, guess I had just gotten used to the heat.
    Yeah that does suck, sounds like it was a good little box. Might I suggest one of these for next time.

:D
    astorrs wrote:
    Yeah that does suck, sounds like it was a good little box. Might I suggest one of these for next time.

:D

I was looking at those recently, but the $300 price tag turned me off. The same thing happened to me a few years ago too. I had an old AMD 1.3Ghz Duron that I had over clocked to 2Ghz and it worked great... But I had done that in the winter when it was quite a bit cooler in here. Summer came around and one hot day *POP* it fried itself. I haven't over clocked one since.
    astorrs wrote:
    Where are you?

Ohio
  • M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Come live up here and you won't have such probs! :D
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Lol lavalamps? Why are you wasting so much energy?

As for working in a hot room, I can see understand the problem your having. My X1900XTX wouldn't run with anything 3D with a room at 90 degrees. Idle it would be fine but it wouldn't last long even after getting a after market heatsink.

I've also had two Nvidia cards die after a year or year and a half of use, one was a 6800GT and the other was a Geforce 4 Ti, right after the warranty was over. So I'm not a big fan of Nvidia right now, at least without one of those fancy lifetime warranties.
    Well, I just got done tearing into it to find out exactly what was bad. I was also able to scrounge up and adapter to test the power supply on another board. The results...

1 video card had a fan seize
    Both video cards had capacitors blown to hell and back
    Power supply is toast as well

and the motherboard is suspect as well. I threw another power supply in and it did POST, but it said the CPU had been changed when it hadn't, but it did identify it correctly. I guess I will just have to use it and see if it does anything weird to tell for sure.

Hard drives I didn't test yet, although I think they will be fine. My reason for thinking that is that I think one video card went taking the power supply and other video card with it. I think if it would have been the power supply first that it would have taken more things with it such as the ram which tested fine.

Anyways, this is what I am thinking or replacing it with:

NORCO RPC-470 Black 4U Rackmount Server Case (2 120mm fans up front, 4 80mm inside behind hard drives and 2 more 80mm fans at the back)
    AMD Phenom 9950 BLACK EDITION 2.6GHz Quad Core
    XCLIO STABLEPOWER 1000W ATX 1000W Power Supply
    2 GeForce 8800GTS video cards.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think my Cisco 2950 died. icon_sad.gif totally sad about that
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    I forgot to mention before... Lava lamps rock! So do other weird lights like my plasma balls, plasm hour glass, baby alien in a jar light and my leg lamp from A Christmas Story.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I forgot to mention before... Lava lamps rock! So do other weird lights like my plasma balls, plasm hour glass, baby alien in a jar light and my leg lamp from A Christmas Story.

haha you do not have a leg lamp! that's the greatest thing I ever heard...I want one!
    Working on Linux+
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mishra wrote:
    I think my Cisco 2950 died. icon_sad.gif totally sad about that
    At least its fairly reasonable to replace a 2950 on eBay now :) If it was a 3560 or something then it'd be time to cry...
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm surprised there was no mention of blinged out chromed fans with fluorescent lights, cisco gear in clear cases with LED's, and a disco ball reflecting laser light. Everything being accentuated by a fog machine!
    mamono wrote:
    I'm surprised there was no mention of blinged out chromed fans with fluorescent lights, cisco gear in clear cases with LED's, and a disco ball reflecting laser light. Everything being accentuated by a fog machine!

I hate all the lights people put in equipment. I did buy a case with lights once... I replaced all the fans in it after a month and disabled all the lights, damned thing would light my room up at night and make it hard to sleep.

And for the guy wanting a leg lamp... Here you go
    http://www.redriderleglamps.com/
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I hate all the lights people put in equipment. I did buy a case with lights once... I replaced all the fans in it after a month and disabled all the lights
    I did the same thing. I was looking for a cheap PC case and ended up getting the one with the window and lights because it was the cheapest. Never again. I ended up disabling most of the ludicrous fans and then turning the case to face the wall.

Pimp my Cisco CRS-1 - The team will add a hydraulic suspension, mini bar, foldout Blu-Ray player + TV and under chassis lighting to the router this week.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Pimp my Cisco CRS-1 - The team will add a hydraulic suspension, mini bar, foldout Blu-Ray player + TV and under chassis lighting to the router this week.

Don't forget the case has be chromed, surrounded by cotton ball fluff to simulate tire burnout smoke, a 10,000 watt sound system with huge kickers, and rows of show trophies from previous show wins! icon_lol.gif