Options

Change Domain Adminstrator Password? best way

fommyfommy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Im gonna need some help,!! my manager is leaving next Thursday and my director has asked me to change all the passwords!!!! ok. great.

What is the best way to change the domain administrator password? I have a forest with 8 sub domains which different passwords on each domain. Do I change the password on the Primary DC and then on each sub domain DC?

Has anyone done this before? any good documents out there which I can follow?

What problems am i likley to encounter if It all goes wrong???

Thanks.....

Matt!! icon_confused.gif
MCITP Enterprise Admin then CCNA - as I failed CCNA twice now. boohoo

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    fommy wrote:
    Hey everyone,

Im gonna need some help,!! my manager is leaving next Thursday and my director has asked me to change all the passwords!!!! ok. great.

What is the best way to change the domain administrator password? I have a forest with 8 sub domains which different passwords on each domain. Do I change the password on the Primary DC and then on each sub domain DC?

Has anyone done this before? any good documents out there which I can follow?

What problems am i likley to encounter if It all goes wrong???

Thanks.....

Matt!! icon_confused.gif

Based on what you describe, that is the way I would be handling it.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    First step would be to make sure you have another account with Domain Admin (or Enterprise Admin - even better) prior to starting out.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If you have a universal user name and password for local admin accounts that he knew, you should change those as well.

Also, ensure that no critical app service is using the account as a service account.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And check all the Domain Admins and Enterprise Admins groups to see if there are any other accounts that should have passwords changed.

ANY account with local rights on servers should be looked at too. Also, whatever account you're using to back up your Exchange server should be changed too, if it has admin on the exchange store, it can get into any mailbox and do whatever they please
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...