Options

Do you own a Blackberry or Iphone?

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
How much does it help you on the daily basis?
What applications on these do you use the most?

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these... what do you recommend?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a blackberry and I completely rely on it. It completely organizes my life and i'm completely spoiled by the instant contact
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for blackberry and organization / calender / reminders / tasks / address book ...
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    RTmarc wrote:
    +1 for blackberry and organization / calender / reminders / tasks / address book ...

All those apps you just mentioned are the main reason for this purchase.

School, Work and Certifications I want a way to manage my time... Because if I do not I'll have no time for the girlfriend and small hobbies.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    i also was horrible with organization using paper pencil. I would always forget where i put the notes. If i had a planner i would always forget to bring it with me or check. with the blackberry its always with me and i can set alarms/reminders plus sync it up with outlook
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you guys have any recommendations for specific devices? Our contract is up in January, and we're looking at getting something along these lines. Any carrier preferences? It looks like GSM is the way to go.

I clearly don't have problems keeping track of things, so I'm not sure how much this would benefit me...
  • Options
    Thats ok, in college I forgot the day i had a calculus final and completely forgot my calculator. Needless to say its hard to do integrals and derivatives of COS in your head
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Do you guys have any recommendations for specific devices? Our contract is up in January, and we're looking at getting something along these lines. Any carrier preferences? It looks like GSM is the way to go.

I clearly don't have problems keeping track of things, so I'm not sure how much this would benefit me...
    Really depends on what is the best in your area. Verizon seems to have the best coverage nationwide but I know they have their dead areas; as do all carriers. EVDO seems to be the best network I've encountered. It has been the fastest and most reliable.

EDIT: As far as model is concerned, I've been using the 8830 Curve and really like it.
  • Options
    AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    i have the att Tilt.. its windows mobile.. has office mobile basically what i use.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    iphone and I don't know how I ever lived without it...it doesn't seem like a big deal till you get one and see how much it helps your life...
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Blackberry.

Email all the time.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    iphone 3g... internet/email/IM/text/camera/phone/calendar/budget/calorie&exercise counting/music/video/etc.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pfftt - I'll stick to my Nokia 3315 .... it's a phone and just a phone icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jryantech I recommend Blackberry 8100 pearl
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was a really, really early Blackberry user (i.e., In 1999 I had a 950, then upgraded to a 957 when it came out, etc). I "cut my leash" in 2004 and I've loved every minute of not being available.

I still have a phone so if its important - call me. But no longer do I find myself replying to emails while picking up a coffee, waiting in line at the bank, etc. Since I get paid for work done (consultant) I found myself "giving away" a handful of hours a week, to the tune of over 10k a year in time-not-billed.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    I was a really, really early Blackberry user (i.e., In 1999 I had a 950, then upgraded to a 957 when it came out, etc). I "cut my leash" in 2004 and I've loved every minute of not being available.

I still have a phone so if its important - call me. But no longer do I find myself replying to emails while picking up a coffee, waiting in line at the bank, etc. Since I get paid for work done (consultant) I found myself "giving away" a handful of hours a week, to the tune of over 10k a year in time-not-billed.

+1

I manage a 45 user BES environment, and my BB acts as both my personal and business mobile device (company "perk" depending on how you look at it). If I didnt have a blackberry, Id be down with whatever the carrier wanted to give me for free (ie a RAZR or comparable model) I dont see myself needing to have access to emails/calendar/tasks/notes/etc outside of my job. As long as I have a phone that can place/make calls, MAYBE some SMS capabilities and has voicemail, Im happy :D

we use verizon as our carrier and regular users receive the 8703e (my current model) Upper management gets the 8830 or the Curve (8330?). I have no complaints about verizon. I like the way these devices are built and configured for business, and would highly recommend them if you are looking for a good mobile device for work or play. ITs just overkill for personal use, and love the fact that I don't hear any email notifications every 5 minutes when I have to turn it off icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    BBerry 8830, and I live by it. I tried WinMo devices and founf the email capabilities to be wanting ie: too slow. I like the 2-3 second email arrival time on my BES. Now if AAPL would license the Bberry connect client from RIM, I'd jump all over an iPhone.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    snadam, nice pic icon_lol.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Blackberry's - I think they're great - I just feel that the way I was using it wasn't working for me (I could lease a car for what I was loosing out on).

We have over 1500 Blackberry users at the place I'm working and for the most part they're all happy. :)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    snadam, nice pic icon_lol.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Blackberry's - I think they're great - I just feel that the way I was using it wasn't working for me (I could lease a car for what I was loosing out on).

We have over 1500 Blackberry users at the place I'm working and for the most part they're all happy. :)

agreed. They are great if you NEED all that stuff. I just don't need it outside of work.

PS thanks for the avatar comment, it made me laugh so hard, I had to make it my new avatar.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BB World Edition for me
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I have one (work provides) and it's nice and all but I don't need many of the features.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I plan to go through life without any such device. I'm not into phones.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Blackberry 8830 here...

The apps I use are phone, email, and sms. I really like the battery life on this phone.

I'm not a fan of the iPhone primarily because of the keyboard that doesn't feel like a keyboard. However, I carry an iPod Touch for music/movies on trips because the Blackberry just isn't in the same league as the iPod for music/movies.

My wish is for an iPhone-like device with touch-screen and a more realistic keyboard...or a Blackberry that does a better job of playing music/movies.

One caveat to the 8830...losing the trackball is a bad thing. I was in Boston last December during a snowstorm. I was walking from the subway to my hotel while talking on the phone. The little trackball fell out of the phone into about a foot of snow, never to be seen again. The 8830 is useless without the little trackball....

MS
  • Options
    kellyjohnkellyjohn Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Both phones are tremendous gadgets. i currently have a BB supplied to me by my employer which i would happily craw over to get my hands on an iPhone… The iPhone wins hands down in every department I was lucky enough to test for.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the iPhone primarily because of the keyboard that doesn't feel like a keyboard.

Has anyone seen Maddox's review of the iPhone? It's NSFW (mostly language), but I thought it was hilarious. Your keyboard comment made me think of the "tactile response" feature his nokia phone has icon_lol.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

I think I'd still prefer a regular keyboard. I can see the touch screen being useful for a lot of things, but a keyboard is not one of them. A few of my coworkers have one, and it looks like an absolute nightmare to type anything on.

Supposedly, the Google Android phones are going to coming as soon as September, and they (at least the one's I read about) are going to be touch-screen with a slide-out keyboard.
  • Options
    Maddox's review is funny but i have to say the iphone keyboard isn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be.

initially, its a major PITA but once you get used to it its fine.

Also, maddox's review applies to the original iphone. the iphone 3g is full of awesome. I can reboot his webserver from my iphone :D VNC to his domain controller, and most recently, i can now stream music from my computer.

the copy and paste is still true, unfortunately, but IM is possible, video should be possible with 3rd party apps and whenever qik is released for the 3g.

• Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ordered a blackberry last week which shoud come tomorrow, it comes with 500mb of free data a month so i hope that going to be enough to get all my e-mails

I thought about the iphone but it's heavier, costs more and you have to get it on a high talk plan icon_eek.gif I had an ipod touch which was ok but once you get over the novelty I didn'y find much use for it.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • Options
    I had an ipod touch which was ok but once you get over the novelty I didn'y find much use for it.
    That, and typing on it absolutely blows.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8120 that I love. :D
  • Options
    I ordered a blackberry last week which shoud come tomorrow, it comes with 500mb of free data a month so i hope that going to be enough to get all my e-mails

I thought about the iphone but it's heavier, costs more
    blackberry = $250 w/ 2 year contract iphone = $200?

as far as the plan you get unlimited data and 450 minutes for $69 a month

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Everyone that I know that has one has said "oh, you just get used to it not feeling like a keyboard". I'm not so sure...I've tried typing simple things on my iPod Touch and it's very close to that nails on a chalkboard feeling...