Options

no networking exp. CCNA?

taciturn28taciturn28 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
i have no experience in the networking field.just did 2 networking related courses in Bachelors but don't remember anything.can i pass the CCNA single exam by studying the CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition by Wendell Odom?what would be the avg. preparation time for people like me.

added question:
will the two exam approach for CCNA be a better choice for me?how about CCNA Video Mentor: (CCNA Exam 640-802) (Video Learning), 2nd Edition
for practice?

pls reply.

Comments

• Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is entirely up to you and your dedication to studying. It is recommended that you get hand-on experience with actual hardware, but some people have been able to pass by gaining CLI (Command Line Interface) experience via simulators. The book that you have is good, some people recommend that author. Study study study. Experience or not experience, it does not matter. By obtaining the required level of proficiency and understanding of the technologies covered, a pass is a pass on the exam.

I believe there are several people that signed up recently who are new to networking on this forum and are studying for CCNA. You might want to consider taking CompTIA Network+ first before CCNA. Just to get your feet wet first. Some just jump right into Cisco, that is fine too. Best of luck!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wendell Odom's books are great for preparing for the exam, but they alone are not enough to get you through the test. Your going to need some actual hardware like switches and routers (1 switch and 1 router at the barest minimum) to be able to see for yourself how stuff really happens. It's much better than just reading a book and not trying the configs yourself. If your strapped for cash, a few simulators are also available, I believe there is still a free version (although stripped down) of Boson shipped with the books.

How soon you can get the cert depends on a few variables. Since you havent had much experience with networking, I'd say your looking at perhaps 2-3 months (maybe more) putting in about a couple of hours a day and a few more on the weekends.

From my own experience, I can advise you that the books alone will not get you to the passing score as I found out when I took my first shot at the CCNA more than a year ago. Your going to need some hardware or a sim.

Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    It seems clear to me that you need the hands on experience. You admit that you just took 2 classes and don't remember anything from them. Do yourself a favor and buy some gear and learn what system is going to help you actually retain the information you learn.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have no experiance at all i would say your looking at around 6 months (depending on study habits) to take the ccna.

If i were you i would def by real gear. i did - most from ebay - and its been a huge help! i cant overstate that enough! also get the sybex book and use the cisco doc cd. If you have the cash i would also recommend getting the cbt nuggets series. i found it was v.good for the icnd2 as i found studying the theory from a book for icnd1 worked better for me than the vids ever could.

As for exams route's....well thats upto each individual. if i were you i would break it into 2 exams. There's no price difference now. it will just make the material easier to break down to be honest.

Good luck. There's tons of good advice round here so stick around.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The only time I've heard of anyone passing ICND1/2 or the 802 exam without having a lab is when they used the CBTNuggets videos by Jeremy Cioara. He goes through all of the CLI, so you can watch him do it.

Having said that, it's always better to learn it yourself on equipment. The knowledge you gain by doing that will stick with you a lot longer.
  • Options
    hey All,
    thank you so much for the detailed replies.i'll follow the suggestions.any other tips about the exam will also be very helpful to me.pls keep posting them as they come to your mind(s).i'll regularly for check for new answers to this question.
    thanks once again. :D
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Post up any questions that you might have, plenty of smart cats around here!

Please make that font even larger. It's hard to read icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
  • Options
    eduromereduromer Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, i recommend you for the CCNA, invert some cash and get the Boson software its really good almost as if you were on the actually hardware, but if possible pay some time to get access to the devices even if it is for just one day its worth it, i used the Sybex Book is really great, and explains you step by step its great if you dont have any experience
    "Almost..... is as good as Nothing"
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly look into CBT Nuggets and the Sybex books for your CCNA studies. Most employers see the CCNA as the ideal cert for entry level into the networking field, so it's certainly worth your effort.
    -Daniel