Options

How to get rid of scratches on Cisco Switches

MadTurtleMadTurtle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone successfully remove scratches on their computer/network equipment? If so how was it done? I have some Cisco 2924 switches with some scratches that I'd like to get rid of. Dumb question but would one of those car polishes that can take remove scuffs and scratches work?

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    ... why?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The cases are powder coated. In theory you can use a cutting compound to carefully remove the powder coating until the scratch disappears but thats only for very light scratches. If its a deep scratch which chances are it will be if these are from racking then you're stuck and would need a new case or repowder coat the entire thing.

As Darthn3ss said though, why?
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    yeah why would you be worried about a scratch on a switch? Are you up for an award? ha
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hours of work just to have them back on the next rackmount day ... not worth it to be honest ..

Unless of course you want to sell used ones for almost new :P :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He loves hist toys, and wants to impress the ladies, he's an enthusiast and wants to sport his bling icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    MadTurtleMadTurtle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yeah why would you be worried about a scratch on a switch? Are you up for an award? ha

No, but like Gomjaba said, I know some people interested in buying them and would like them too look almost new. If they're not interested, I can sell them on eBay.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Most people who buy switches online are really only worried about whether they work or not.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    spray-paint them in Extreme Networks purple.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get a sharpie with near the same color and apply subtley :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pimp my Cisco CRS-1 - The team will add a hydraulic suspension, mini bar, foldout Blu-Ray player + TV and under chassis lighting to the router this week.
    Don't forget the case has be chromed, surrounded by cotton ball fluff to simulate tire burnout smoke, a 10,000 watt sound system with huge kickers, and rows of show trophies from previous show wins!

That's the way to go right there!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Poor guy, first posts and gets a bit of crap for it.

Because the cases are powder coated then a car scratch remover isn't going to work.

Your best bet is to take off the casing and spray paint it, or you can give buying one of those car touch up paints (http://www.ultimatez.com/shop/?shop=1&itemid=522) although the colors will never match perfectly it might be good enough.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!