Options

Do you have happy trainers?

pmannpmann Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
My local test center are advertising for an MS IT trainer, the candidate needs to be an MCSE and would get the support/training to become an MCT. Candidates have to be fluent in training delivery, but thats ok since I do it all the time (and used to be a teacher). The center has six training rooms, a test room and two other rooms with purpose built labs for practicals. Class size is a max of 8. I only really see the test room but its always a busy place.

I got to thinking that being an MCT trainer would probably be a really good job, spending all day dealing with all aspects of IT, keeping up to date with new stuff, setting up problems with hardware/software in the labs etc. Sounds more like fun rather than work. Also its a 40 hour week (instead of my current 70 icon_sad.gif ) and paying around $55k.

But am I romanticizing the role of a trainer?, is it actually a good profession?, or a tough living? Id be interested to hear from anyone thats been/is a trainer or whether anyone thats done class based training had 'happy' trainers :D , or anyone that has maybe heard any trainers opinions on what its really like.

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    It only pays $55K? or that's what you make now? $55k isn't that much to do all that
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    I just looked at my last post, and it sounded a bit rude. Sorry.

What I meant to say was, you look to have a lot of experiance in the IT field, and seem to know what you are doing. I know a couple of people who are MCT, and they are making almost double that. I don't think it's a bad idea, and it would be a lot of fun to teach. If that is what is in your heart, and you feel that is where it's leading you, then I say go for it icon_thumright.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I was thinking the same before I actually did it. I quit the job before I got the MCT (which is hardly any training, someone from MS comes over and checks out how you teach MS stuff to a class.) but I was a trainer for about 3 months. The time you have to teach a MOC is too short to go into detail (as in the parts where it gets really interesting). You won't be doing much 'keeping up to date', as you'll be probably teaching the same course(s) over and over again. You'll have to spend more of your own time to keep up to date compared to a sys admin or designer who runs into new things on the job everyday and actually gets the time to read thru some product documentation.

The main problem in my case is that those who took the class, usually got it sponsered by their employer, they didn't came to learn (they, as well as most people, could learn much more in the same time by reading a book and setting up a home lab, or a one-on-one session with an experienced co-worker, or worse, they would pass the exam by reading braindumps), they came so they didn't have to work. (yeah there were a lot of lazy ones when IT was booming). I still wanted to teach/educate so I switched to 'online' as people who use the web to learn are typically much more appreciative and eager to learn, and most importantly I can choose whatever I want to keep up to date.

I'm sure a lot of trainers out there are having a blast. And some do get 1 or 2 days to keep up to date and 'play' with the labs which makes up for having to teach the same 70-210 material again icon_wink.gif

Just my 2 cents... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Interesting stuff.

Im an IT manager for a site of around 450 employees that do a lot of government contracts. I earn over $100k but... I do work very long hours and the pressures go up and up every year. Ive been doing a lot of studies recently since some of our work has been 'outsourced' to India and its giving me the creeps, so thought Id better make sure my certs are up to date, just in case. Although I have >25 years experience, Im obviously not a young guy and Ive found that Im not actually very marketable as a result.

The site where I work will probably always be there, but Im also concerned about quality of life. I love the IT field but Im getting to stage that Id sooner earn less money and be a much happier guy than work 12 hour days (sometimes 7 days a week) and wind up with an ulcer or worse. Fortunately Im in a position where I can accrue time off and use that for study time.

The solution of course is for companies like mine to hire more IT guys, but Ive made that argument many times and never gotten any budget increase. Maybe I should express myself with my feet.

But training doesnt sound like such a good place to be either for the reasons youve mentioned.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    pmann
    A guy like you has many opportunities. I think you would appreciate being in the teaching dept. of IT. With your credentials you could easily apply at a technical or Maybe University for teaching IT classes. They would easily pay 70+K, which is not what you make now. But you substitute lower stress levels for less pay.. Plus you would have students willing to learn.
  • Options
    I agree. I would rather take a pay decrease and have less stress.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

• Options
    Garv,

Thats a good point. I dont like the idea of delivering the same course over and over (like an MCT would probably do), but taking several classes of students through 3-6 or even 12 months of IT training is much more appealing.

As you say, those type of students are learning for a career in IT as opposed to company workers escaping the office for a few days. I really enjoy the experimenting/practical side, so I would certainly make sure that students do lots of hands-on problem solving and maybe some projects too.

The more I think about, the more I think I should just go do it. The way things are going, another few years in my current job will probably kill me anyway! Then it really would be game over. (Id also like to see my bosses face when I turn in a resignation too :D ).
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    PMann,
    Schools want someone just like you. A real world IT guy, kids will listen to a guy who is certified and has worked in the field. I know, I went to college and the professors who made a difference were the guys who worked the field. They had a lot of knowledge about the politics of IT and where the jobs are.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    That does sound more appealing indeed. And I agree with Garv, you are what a students want (at least they should ;)), someone with real-life experience, someone who can put things in perspective by giving solid and original examples. Again, I'm sure there are happy MCTs, but when you teach MOCs the only time to even show you have experience is during lunch breaks, and that's only during the first year, after that you'll be listening to the students' experience cause they learn new things on the job every day...

Teaching at a school or university should be a stress relieve, even if it is just because of getting out of the corporate ratrace. icon_wink.gif

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!