Options

Symantec Endpoint Protection Alternatives

cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
I am so far beyond aggravated with SEP 11, that I want it OFF of my network. What do you guys use for server-side antivirus? What about client-side? Not only did it kill access to everything when deployed (network protection on by default, we turned it off), it's file system auto-protect malfunctions frequently blocking access to file shares on multiple machines. FOSS would be nice, but I'm willing to pay too. So, what do you guys use?
“Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre

Comments

• Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    We use Trend micro Worry Free Advance. We moved from SEP, it was so bad and there support was horrible.

Trend is easy to deploy and set up, so far so good.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Symantec is awful, I've been trying to move my company off it for over a year. Sophos is a very good Enterprise level alternative, very lightweight and strong protection. I did a trial of it about 6 months back and was ready to move to it but since our parent company use Symantec aswell (llike everyone else for no better reason than a lot of other companies use it icon_rolleyes.gif ) it was a no go until 2010.

I haven't seen their corporate edition but my personal favourite Security package is Kaspersky.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    SEP is a piece of dog dung. I work for a Symantec Gold Partner, and I do like a lot of their products, but this is the biggest piece of crap for an AV I've ever seen.

Forefront is very good, but expensive...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    How expensive is forefront? I haven't play with it yet, I am wanting to see how Microsoft is doing in AV, I used there onecare of a month or two and it was good, just didn't want to buy it.
  • Options
    Last I checked it was 2.5x the cost of Symantec.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I going to have to deploy SEP soon...

Did you have the latest patches for it installed? The stuff you're talking about (from reading their forum) sounds like stuff that should have been fixed already with a maintenance release. At least I hope so.

From what I have heard about it, when it works as advertised, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it almost never happens, the release was worse than beta quality.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe, definitely get the latest maintenance pack when you deploy. You might end up having only a few problems. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    The firewall issue was at deployment time over 6 months ago. The file system auto-protect malfunction has been sporadic, but worse lately. I do keep it updated as they are released, but seems to have had no effect. I'll just replace it soon, since our contract is up for renewal next month. I'm looking at Trend and Kaspersky currently.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre