Options

Tagging servers

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
What do you use to tag your servers?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use my hand and then yell "your it" then run away as fast as I can....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you mean physically label? asset tag?
  • Options
    Yeah, physically.

Right now, we have asset tags and stickers on our servers.

What I'm looking to do is hang a tag on each one that's going to show more information about the server than just the name, such as IP, Subnet, Gway, DNS Server, etc.

I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same, or if most people just use stickers or go by asset tags.

((The main reason I'm doing this is to make a database of servers and categorize them, but I figured while I'm at it, I'll make new tags with more information to hang on them.))
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use a label maker to put information such as that on devices. Just make sure you have physical security before putting any information that could be used against you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    We have a labelmaker, but I'm finding it hard to put all that information on a sticker, have it readable, and still have room on the server without covering up drives.

I've seen other companies hang tags off the screws on the ends of dell servers for the extra information and it works incredibly well, in my opinion.
  • Options
    I use a label maker to put information such as that on devices. Just make sure you have physical security before putting any information that could be used against you.
    +1 in a co-location/leased data center I usually only put the name of the device and no other identifying marks (including nothing about the company name who owns the cage/rack).

If you have physical security that's less of an issue, but I still wouldn't go far beyond name/IP. Adding information about the default gateway, DNS, etc is going to suck when you are forced to change them for some reason down the road (break out that labeler again!). Use something like BGInfo or BackInfo for labeling the console - how often do you need to know the DNS server when you're not connected to the machine? ;)
  • Options
    We're all linux, so no backgrounds! Plus we have like quad-layer physical security of multiple types. I'm not trying to tag root passwords or anything, just the networking infrastructure information so the information can be found inside the room without actually logging into the machine.

I found some tags and I'll probably end up doing what the other company did...print labels and stick them on larger tags with string, so they'll be readable and hanging off the screws on the end.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We just have an assest tag & IP Address on the servers.
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote:
    I found some tags and I'll probably end up doing what the other company did...print labels and stick them on larger tags with string, so they'll be readable and hanging off the screws on the end.
    Sounds like that's your best bet then; something along the lines of the iLO tags on HP servers right?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Do you really need to have subnet, DNS and gateway listed on the tag?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    darkerosxx wrote:
    Sounds like that's your best bet then; something along the lines of the iLO tags on HP servers right?

Haven't heard of those...ya have a link?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:

It's not a need situation, it's just one more step to make our lives quicker and easier so I can stop working at 4pm and eat pie.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    darkerosxx wrote:
    tiersten wrote:

It's not a need situation, it's just one more step to make our lives quicker and easier so I can stop working at 4pm and eat pie.
    I'm just wondering why would need quick access to that sort of information enough times to warrant putting it on the tag. Name and IP address I can see because you want to be able to look at it and know what it is and how to connect to it.

As for tags, I just use a label machine. Name and IPs.
  • Options
    darkerosxx wrote:
    astorrs wrote:
    darkerosxx wrote:

Haven't heard of those...ya have a link?
    Oh its just a tag that comes with HP servers that have an integrated remote console card. I was just refering to using the same kind of tag. Personally I don't like things like this as there is always a risk they can get stuck in one of the air intakes and block airflow.

dscf0152an5.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, what I'm gonna be making looks like that. Of the ones we have from other vendors, we haven't had any trouble with them getting stuck, but I'll keep an eye out.