Options

ICND1 CBT Nugget is driving me nuts...

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
And I may feel like an idiot after this...maybe I'm just completely oblivious to what he's trying to say.

In "Basic TCP/IP: The Tale of Two Packets", a scenario is laid out where a user tries to ping another on a remote network. It gives some local IP address and a remote IP of 192.168.0.100.

Is this just a mistake? Is he just using that IP for the example? It's very confusing when you're looking at it the whole time, knowing it's a private IP and that a ping command issued with that IP as the destination would not resolve, unless you were on the same network, which he is not in this case.

Am I honestly just missing something, or is this a mistake he's overlooking in the videos?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In a real scenario you wouldn't ping another networks private addresses over the internet (except in the case of a VPN) but in a lab scenario you can set up any addressing you want, public or private.

Also, the ping does not have to be resolved, resolution gets and IP address from a name.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I understand, but it just doesn't make sense to me why you would setup a scenario that way, unless you assumed that someone watching that video doesn't know the material well enough to distinguish the difference.

I was just watching them during downtime at work as a refresher, and it bugged me the entire time I was watching it. I just had to post about it. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Its just an example, the actual addresses are irrelevant to the theory behind the connectivity.

I don't know what "difference" you are referring to.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    well remote doesn't necessarily mean over the wan. He could have subnets seperated by routers or he could have frame relay going or some other point to point connection. Now, if the scenario is set up as i have a lan which is connected to the internet and I am trying to ping another private lan, then thats another story. I watched the CBT nuggets and I was never confused by that. I think you are looking at it in an incorrect context.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    well remote doesn't necessarily mean over the wan. He could have subnets seperated by routers or he could have frame relay going or some other point to point connection. Now, if the scenario is set up as i have a lan which is connected to the internet and I am trying to ping another private lan, then thats another story. I watched the CBT Nuggets and I was never confused by that. I think you are looking at it in an incorrect context.

My thoughts exactly, if you have a private line to another site and their subnet could be 192.168.0.0/24 as long as their are proper routes in place there will be no issue.
  • Options
    I don't know what "difference" you are referring to.

The difference between a public and private IP address, and how theoretically, without further explanation, his scenario would not work in the real world.

I wasn't confused by it in the sense that I didn't understand what was going on. I already knew that stuff and was merely reviewing.

I guess I was just thinking about it in too much depth, looking beyond what he was actually trying to explain in that particular video.

It just bothered me, because he didn't specify.

Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    You are definitely looking to deep into it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Subject reminded me of a cheesy joke:

A pirate walks into a bar with a big ship's wheel down his pants.

The bartender says, "Excuse me, sir, but do you know you have a ship's wheel down the front of your pants?"

And the pirate says... Aaargh, it's driving me nuts!!
  • Options
    Dynamik, your profile pic rules all.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    It gives some local IP address and a remote IP of 192.168.0.100.

What was the local ip?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Subject reminded me of a cheesy joke:

A pirate walks into a bar with a big ship's wheel down his pants.

The bartender says, "Excuse me, sir, but do you know you have a ship's wheel down the front of your pants?"

And the pirate says... Aaargh, it's driving me nuts!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm such a dork to find this so funny.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm such a dork to find this so funny.

You're not the only one, I was rolling when I read that icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    What was the local ip?

I don't remember exactly, but it was a public address. I remember because I was wondering if he was going to realize he had them switched around in the video.
  • Options
    toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hi,

I am bit confuse about your qustion but so far what I have understood from you explanation, I think you have to use NAT or PAT. Because private addres only for inside the LAN, when you try to ping some other host into different LAN you have to use NAT or PAT. This NAT or PAT translations usually carries out by an ROUTER, basically your default gateway.....

hope it might help you to understand. if you not clear yet let me know....