Options

CCNA/degree advice.

sco0tsco0t Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

joined a few days ago and was just quietly having a look at the forum before I posted, hah. Just wanted some advice and have some questions also, if anyone would care to answer or help me out.
I'll let you know firstly a bit of background info on me first. In my 3rd year at University, I know this forum has people from all over the world so basically means after this year I will have a degree in Networking and Systems Support it's called. Also doing the CCNA Networking Academy and passed semester one, just wanted to ask firstly what is the differences between doing the academy and doing just the exam is there any benefits over doing one than the other? After I've passed all 4 semesters will that be me CCNA certified? After reading I noticed a lot of members have lots of experience in the network field and wanted to ask on your point of view. Although I'll be at uni close enough to full time, experience to go into any networking job is required any advice what I can do or what types of jobs I could apply for? I also have experience in the MCSE but dont actually have the cert, In college done a 70-270 class but we had the option to sit the exam and most never including me - if that goes for anything. Any advice on anything relating to this would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I was told that having the academy when you interview looks better than just having the cert when you don't have any experience. Reason being that in most US academy's you have access to a lot of gear. In my academy class here when I got my CCNA, I had my own POD to use in class, and I also had remote access to a pod anywhere I wanted.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Passing the academy will not give you the CCNA certification. You must take the 640-802 or the 640-822 AND 640-816 to become certified.

If you want to be successful in this field just remember you are probably not going to start off as an admin or engineer. You have to start at the bottom working helpdesk or NOC tech type positions and move up the ladder just like anyone else. Also, if you have not gotten a internship through your school already I would try now.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So what does the academy count for, if there is no certification after you pass all semesters? Next year I can do a paid placement relating to my degree so was thinking of doing that also and that would be for a year. I would definetely prefer to be certified is the academy just the same material as the actual exam?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sco0t wrote:
    So what does the academy count for, if there is no certification after you pass all semesters? Next year I can do a paid placement relating to my degree so was thinking of doing that also and that would be for a year. I would definetely prefer to be certified is the academy just the same material as the actual exam?

The academy is a course for the aid of learning the CCNA material. Its aimed towards being taught in a academic environment. You can either do the course or do self study and sit the ccna exam - once passing giving you the ccna qualification.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    So basically after all the semesters are complete that should be me ready to go for the exam itself then.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The academy usually has the side benefit of giving you course credit besides prepping you for the CCNA. I went through the academy for CCNA (I actually went and took the CCNA before I finished the course), and it was easy easy credit. I spent the last semester essentially being my teacher's TA and he was fine with me leaving after roll call if he didn't have anything for me to do
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Her ein Dominican republic you find a lot of people who say they "are CCNA" without taking the exam.

I have been trying to get in touch with a few of them and everytime I ask about the exam and they always reply "oh I havent taken the exam...". The real cisco certified guys are working for for one of the 3-4 Gold Partners and are mostly involved in training and pre and post sales department.

I know two CCNP and one of them is CCSP too. He is managing some team in some projects for a Nortel company. He told me they are now after people who are willing to study hard to get high level certifications in the shortest time possible, committed people who are willing to study. I think they need them for partnership deals of some sort. The thing is he says people who get their certifications by self study are generally more committed individuals. I think it´s a very good logic. He told me his conclusion came because more than one of his colleagues got certifications trhat took him more than a year in half the time, because they were going at their own pace instead of having to wait for the pace of a class...That right there is why i havent signed up for any class.

I think there are benefits of taking classes, and the main on is to have access to a great deal of equipment, and also have something (school certificate or something) to show in case that for whatever reason you dont end up taking and passing the vendor exam and earning the certification.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.