Options

So how long would it take to set this up.

eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
Hello All,

I had to design a complete IT infrastructure and now they want to know how long it would take to set it up.
I think it could be done in a week or so.
It's 13 w2k3 servers, 2 exchange servers, AD, DFS, GPO's, AD integrated DNS, DHCP, an embedded ISA2006, the hardware firewall config isn’t included in the time frame ....
On some of the servers there are going to come Oracle BD’s but I don’t have to worry about that.
Until now I only did admin the stuff but never set it all up.
So any advice on how long is appreciated, a specially from people who have done this before icon_wink.gif

Thx.
Best regards.
Eastp.
Multitasking:
Screwing up several things at once.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How complex is the configuration? I could probably get that many servers "setup" in a day. What about testing and things like that? How critical are all these servers and their respective data going to be? Are you going to do a pilot program with a few users trying things out?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Realistically, it will take you a two business weeks to get everything finalized. What I mean by that is installing and configuring, testing, rolling-out, and fine tuning. The quickest part will be actually setting up servers and infrastructures, however, that's just the start. Then come users and groups and permissions therein. It really depends on how complex the environment is and the size. DFS won't be too bad but will definitely take some looking at.

Many of the things you listed are fire and forget for the most part. DHCP and DNS are pretty much set up once and you don't have to look at them again until problems arise. GPOs are almost in that category but change more often than the other two. Other than basic administration (user and computer), AD is pretty much self-sustaining.

ISA will definitely be the longest part of the integration. You'll be fine-tuning rules and policies for a while.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Not too long, assuming you don't run in to a brick wall with a confusing problem with AD or Exchange. I'd recommend making a very detailed checklist and having help on hand so you can give them issues to look at while you keep hacking.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    That list sounds like a 3 month project to get them configured correctly. You could proboably have them installed and up and running in a work week though. 2 days is pushing it IMO unless you have some basic images of Server2k3 etc. Is this for one central location or multiple locations? If multiple you have to take into account a lot of information for DFS.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the environment is basic and a single location, I'm with RTmarc - block off 2 weeks which should give you enough time to implement, test and document (at least the basics). If it becomes more complex like TechJunky mentioned it can be a lot harder to pin down.

Your best bet would be to open a project plan and break down the work into component tasks (make a WBS) and then estimate the time on each one. Don't forget to give yourself lots of time for the unexpected (I would probably put at least 20% in as slack tasks given the uncertainty).
  • Options
    Ok,

Apparently I didn't gave all the details,
    it’s for a new Site that needs to be setup.
    My normal day to day job is sys admin.
    Now they wanted me to go abroad and design a complete new Infrastructure and tell them how long it takes to set it up so that is fully operational.

The servers and data is very imported since there are a lot of people depending on it to do there job.

I'm thinking of going for 2 weeks as well.
    1,5week to setup it all up, config, testing, fine tune.
    1-2 days to setup exchange, config and testing
    1-2 days for the ISA..

Thx for all the feedback.
    Best regards.
    Eastp.
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Throw in an extra week or a few days since this is the first time you've done something like this. If I were you, I'd rather finish ahead of schedule than behind. You may encounter something unanticipated that'll mess up your schedule.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm with dynamik...

Overpromise and underdeliver and you look bad.
    Underpromise and overdeliver and you are the hero.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I'm with dynamik...

I'll do this then...
    Thanks for the advice icon_wink.gif
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    eastp wrote:
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I'm with dynamik...

I'll do this then...
    Thanks for the advice icon_wink.gif

Good plan. I usually refer to Mr Scott's philosophy from Star Trek (though I don't multiple by that much!)

KIRK: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
    SCOTTY: Certainly, Sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will you be migrating any users, data, mailboxes, etc.? You say "new" but will this "new" infrastructure be replacing an old one based on Novell, Windows Workgroups, or sendmail?

I did a similar setup once as far as installing a new AD environment with new servers, but it was replacing some aged novell file servers and a linux sendmail server. Setting up everything new (2 DC's, Exchange, ISA, DNS, DHCP, AV, file servers, print servers) was about 2-3 easy days work for 2 of us. Migrating all the old data from the novell server to the new file server, setting up existing printers on the new print server, configuring the existing PC's to join the new AD domain and remap network drives, redo all client AV, configure client settings for ISA, setup and schedule backups, work with the ISP for the Exchange stuff, reconfigure the router for the ISA server and new IP scheme, run some cabling, etc., etc., etc. took me another 4 12-14 hour days.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Will you be migrating any users, data, mailboxes, etc.? You say "new" but will this "new" infrastructure be replacing an old one based on Novell, Windows Workgroups, or sendmail?

I did a similar setup once as far as installing a new AD environment with new servers, but it was replacing some aged novell file servers and a linux sendmail server. Setting up everything new (2 DC's, Exchange, ISA, DNS, DHCP, AV, file servers, print servers) was about 2-3 easy days work for 2 of us. Migrating all the old data from the novell server to the new file server, setting up existing printers on the new print server, configuring the existing PC's to join the new AD domain and remap network drives, redo all client AV, configure client settings for ISA, setup and schedule backups, work with the ISP for the Exchange stuff, reconfigure the router for the ISA server and new IP scheme, run some cabling, etc., etc., etc. took me another 4 12-14 hour days.

There is no migration needed.
    It's a company that wants to set up a really new site abroad.
    I'm the only one to set it all up.
    Except for the cabling..

Best regards
    Eastp
    Multitasking:
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would call it as a 3/4 week project.
    You will want a good week to plan it out - including Visio diagrams of your rack(s).
    The actual build is the easy part, but it is always good to allow a decent fudge-factor there. A colleague recently had a couple new HP servers delivered that refused to fire up and needed to be returned for replacement - it appears a pallet was dropped and both units (plus a few more) suffered from stress fractures on the motherboards.
    If all goes well you will get the build done in 2/4 days and the install should be a 1/2 day deal.
    Always good to have a little time up your sleeve for any weird issues that may crop up, such as inconsistant power. Again fairly recently we came across a new building that was badly grounded and had major power fluctuations.
    Finally, you are going to want a week to do the most important part ....... documentation.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007