Monitoring Tools

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am looking into getting certified and studying a good, reliable, and widely used Monitoring Software for Windows Server OS, Exchange 2007, Hardware, and Network, not so heavily on network monitor, it has to be more focused on OS and server based Applications. icon_cool.gif

What do you have in mind?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why not just learn SCOM and the associated cert.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Why not just learn SCOM and the associated cert.

Is MOM related to this?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey and another selling point, it's like Exchange the entire GUI is based on PowerShell so you can script everything - and since you know PowerShell from your Exchange training... one less thing to learn.
    I'm looking at System Center Essentials for us. It seems like it'd be a good fit, and the price is actually quite reasonable for the licenses it includes. Unfortunately, powershell integration is one of the features reserved only for the full-blown version.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm looking at System Center Essentials for us. It seems like it'd be a good fit, and the price is actually quite reasonable for the licenses it includes. Unfortunately, powershell integration is one of the features reserved only for the full-blown version.

SCE is also capped at 500 users, but it's designed for small businesses that can't afford/justify the full suite of SCCM and SCOM and it's tough to beat the features you get for the price.

I definitely recommend studying - and if you are going to study you might as well get certified in - the System Center suite of products. I fell into an SMS 2.0 implementation 8 years ago and it was one of the best things to happen to my career. That experience led to other projects and employment during some very lean years in IT. I still use SMS 2003 (although in a limited capacity) and I continue to get job offers as an SMS admin. I did get an offer recently that was asking for SCCM knowledge for future use so comapnies are aware of the product and thinking about implementations.
    Yea, we only have 30 ;)

We're growing fast, but I'm not too worried about breaking 500 any time soon. They also limit the servers, at 30.