Backtrack 3 - cant open site !!

J0eJ0e Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys,
i have a very strange problem, im using backtrack 3 in vmware, i have my wired connection on running normal under xp, but when i try to open a site in backtrack it just cant load the site like there is no connection, i did the "dhcpcd eth0" and the "ifconfig" and it did assign me an IP address, im starting to get grey hair icon_wink.gif , any ideas?!
thx guys icon_wink.gif

btw: i think we should have a OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional forum section would be icon_cool.gif , just an idea icon_wink.gif

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How did you configure the network connection in vmware? i.e. NAT, Bridged, Host-Only, etc? If you did something like host-only, you'd still get a dhcp address, but you'd only be able to communicate with the host.

I think this is more of a vmware issue than a backtrack issue.
    J0e wrote:
    btw: i think we should have a OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional forum section would be icon_cool.gif , just an idea icon_wink.gif

This Christmas or the next one, I'm going to get myself that as a present. Looks incredibly fun. I'll probably get the most out of it if I do the CEH first.

Honestly, this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here. I don't think that level of activity warrants a forum. I guess it'll live in the general security forum until it gets more popular.
  • J0eJ0e Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    How did you configure the network connection in vmware? i.e. NAT, Bridged, Host-Only, etc? If you did something like host-only, you'd still get a dhcp address, but you'd only be able to communicate with the host.

J0e wrote:

This Christmas or the next one, I'm going to get myself that as a present. Looks incredibly fun. I'll probably get the most out of it if I do the CEH first.

Honestly, this is the first time I've seen it mentioned here. I don't think that level of activity warrants a forum. I guess it'll live in the general security forum until it gets more popular.

thx for the reply m8, im using Bridged, it think you would have more fun with OSCP then CEH, this is a nice read http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.php/3685716 and you will see the difference. will try some other stuff later one and will reply right now have no idea what else to do(if i boot it as live cd without vmware then i need to set username&password for my connection damm another day searching how to do that, good start with backtrack icon_rolleyes.gif , thx again icon_wink.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sure I'd like it more. I'd want to do the CEH just to develop a foundation first.

Are you on a broadband connection that requires you to authenticate? Try changing your network setting to NAT. That'll make everything go through your host machine, which might save you some hassle.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    J0e wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

J0e wrote:

thx for the reply m8, im using Bridged, it think you would have more fun with OSCP then CEH, this is a nice read http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.php/3685716 and you will see the difference. will try some other stuff later one and will reply right now have no idea what else to do(if i boot it as live cd without vmware then i need to set username&password for my connection damm another day searching how to do that, good start with backtrack icon_rolleyes.gif , thx again icon_wink.gif

Looks like a sweet class, definitely on the list for next year - 2009 = security focus for me, kicking off with Sec+ at the end of this year.
  • J0eJ0e Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm sure I'd like it more. I'd want to do the CEH just to develop a foundation first.

Are you on a broadband connection that requires you to authenticate? Try changing your network setting to NAT. That'll make everything go through your host machine, which might save you some hassle.

dynamik you are my saviour icon_wink.gif , NAT was the jackpot, thx m8 bowing.gifbowing.gif