Options

Network analyzer

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
Does anyone know of a program that can basically monitor the network and pin point if a specific ip address is causing a broadcast storm?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    http://www.wireshark.org/

I'm not sure if it'll specifically identify a device causing a broadcast storm. Don't broadcast storms occur when switches have multiple/redundant connections to each other, but aren't using something like STP to prevent that? If that's the case, any device could easily trigger a broadcast storm. Are you just worried a machine is generating excessive traffic?
  • Options
    Well lately we have had some loopbacks in the network cabling and it takes a while to track down the problem. I am just wondering if there is something out there that can pin point a location and alert me if it happens again.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What do you mean by loopbacks in the network?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    What I mean by loopbacks is somehow we have one end of a cable going into the switch and somehow it is looping the signal back to that switch through another cable. example of this is i take a cat5 and plug it into 2 ports on the same switch its looping the signal back to itself creating a braodcast storm. Now we have enabled spanning tree on the switch but other switches in the buidling dont support spanning tree or storm control. thats why i would like to find a network monitoring tool that can notify me if something like that is happening.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If some of your switches don't support STP etc. then it's likely they don't support any reporting that most intelligent net tools could use, you'll need to sniff traffic from the wire in these cases. If you have some old PCs you can use try NTop, it'll translate sniffed traffic into detailed reports that might help...and it's free :).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?