Options

VMWare Virtual Net Settings Help

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
The other day I had a coworker who (the desktop control people) say brought a lot of people down because he had a misconfigured vmware app on his laptop.

I have preached to these guys that they should only be running host-only here at work. this guy is studying for a 2003 cert and is constantly playing with the network settings for vmware and says he must've forgotten to change it back.

according to the network guys, his machine caused bad dhcp corruption or something like that (we couldnt get a straight answer)

I know that running "bridged" is very bad in a corp environment but I will be darned if I can find a good paragraph on it and the differences between it and NAT/Host-Only on Vmware's and Google for my boss. I am still not totally convinced his pc is all to blame but they are very leery of vmware right now. I have been running it for years with no problems (so far).

Can anyone give me or have a link to a nice explanation on exactly WHY you shouldn't run "bridged" mode in a corp net so I run this by my boss. my explanation is a little shallow sounding as I am no vmware guru and dont know quite the words to explain it

any help will be most appreciated

BTW--the help you guys gave with the P2V's was right on. had a meeting with the client yesterday. wont have to do the metrics will only have to implement :D

Thanks again
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My guess is that he was running a DHCP server in the vm and the corporate DHCP servers detected a rogue DHCP server. In my experience in my environment that would cause the corporate DHCP servers to stop handing out addresses when they detect the rogue DHCP server. From reading the rogue detection documentation I don't believe that is how it is supposed to work but that is my experience with things.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Think of your computer like a castle with a moat.

Bridged allows traffic to cross the moat into the network.

Host-only keeps everything inside the castle.

Under no circumstances should a lab VMWare setup be allowed to cross the moat.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    undomiel wrote:
    My guess is that he was running a DHCP server in the vm and the corporate DHCP servers detected a rogue DHCP server. In my experience in my environment that would cause the corporate DHCP servers to stop handing out addresses when they detect the rogue DHCP server. From reading the rogue detection documentation I don't believe that is how it is supposed to work but that is my experience with things.

It could be he set up a DHCP on the corporate network and his DHCP started handing out IP addresses that were already in use.

They may not have explained this fully because they didn't want you to know how easy it is to bring down their network.
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just what I was looking for icon_lol.gif
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.