Options

Horrible Dilemma

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
Alright well I had a job lined up, the guy offered me the job and talked about benefits and so on. So I was pretty happy, I went into Circuit City and put in my 2 weeks notice... then today(3 days later) I get a call from the new job and they say "Sorry but we have to withdraw our job offer due to certain circumstances with-in the company" and now Circuit City says they've already hired someone in my place.

This entry level job thing is a huge pain... Also the reason I was leaving Circuit City is because the 3 out of the 3 Firedog techs were assholes and have been working for the company for 4-5 years and were put and trained at Firedog. Also the management sucked and I learned first hand why Circuit Citys stock is so horrible. And to top it off the new job was offering more money.

I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry for a little bit. icon_cry.gif
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm sure if you stick to the job hunt something better will come along anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    yea definitely keep your head up and think positive

it may make you scramble for a bit but at least you will get away from circuit city which you obviously didn't like too much.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about that icon_sad.gif

Did they give you an offer in writing?

Regardless, hang in there. You're still young, and you'll get through this whole entry-level phase before you know it. It sucks in the present, but you'll look back in a few years and wonder why you ever thought it was such a big deal.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I just need someone to open a door for me!
    All of them seem to be locked or slightly open to be slammed in my face.

Well I loaded my Resume Gun and I'm going shooting.

School starts next week so hopefully I'm in better spirits for the beginning of that.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Sorry to hear about that.

Take some time off and relax. Have a couple of beers if you are old enough. Then think of everything you learned at Firedog and write it down no matter how small. Re-think your resume. Concentrate on the positive. Something will turn up.

BTW…Circuit City stock is at $1.62. It’s just a matter of time before the whole company goes down the toilet.

Cheers!

OH..and there's no crying in IT!!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Job offer withdrawals definitely do suck. Did you get it in writing? Make sure to always get them in writing. They are far less likely to pull a stunt like that if you have everything in writing. Now just freshen up the resume and start applying! See if you can find some contract jobs even if it is only a day's work. That was how I was able to get my start initially. It's rough starting off but it can be done. On the plus side now you'll have more time for searching and interviews!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    jryantech wrote:
    Alright well I had a job lined up, the guy offered me the job and talked about benefits and so on. So I was pretty happy, I went into Circuit City and put in my 2 weeks notice... then today(3 days later) I get a call from the new job and they say "Sorry but we have to withdraw our job offer due to certain circumstances with-in the company" and now Circuit City says they've already hired someone in my place.

This entry level job thing is a huge pain... Also the reason I was leaving Circuit City is because the 3 out of the 3 Firedog techs were assholes and have been working for the company for 4-5 years and were put and trained at Firedog. Also the management sucked and I learned first hand why Circuit Citys stock is so horrible. And to top it off the new job was offering more money.

As a piece of advice for the future, never quit a job you have unless you have a contract with the new one.

Sorry it happened and good luck. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

As a piece of advice for the future, never quit a job you have unless you have a contract with the new one.

Sorry it happened and good luck. icon_wink.gif

Do you mean like to sign some papers or what? Like how can you tell for sure that they won't just drop you after you already quit the last job? I've had on instance where I quit a job for a contract that ended up being pushed out for about a year and was screwed into working at Fry's as a PC tech for a few months.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I mean like having a contract saying you start on X day at Y salary for Z amount of time and explicitly state the reasons for termination of the contract. If you have that, they can't just say "Oh, for reasons within the company, we can't hire you anymore." Well, they could, but they'd still have to pay you.

That's all dependent on local laws, so check your local employment laws before taking what I say seriously.
  • Options
    deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    That sucks man. I've had a similar company do something similar to me. An acquaintance of mine got me a an interview with his company to work night shift. we had three interviews first one in person with human relations, the second one being a phone interview with one of the CEOs or something which went extremely well, and then a final interview with another CEO and someone else. They gave me a verbal start date and verbal pay. I let my current employer know I couldn't work for them any longer (friend of the family so it was good terms) and two days before I was supposed to start they called me up and I quote "We have found someone better suited for the job" which was a lie. turns out one of my references didn't check out. The phone was disconnected so they thought it was fake. I ended up jobless for a while before getting the job I have now. Turned out for the best though.