Database administration...how lucrative is it?

snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
In leiu of my recent job searching, I have noticed many positions for DBA's and the salary range is quite good. I believe im nearing that crossroads in my career to branch off into an IT 'specialty', and although database is not my top choice, its one of them. As a general question, how do you guys see the database administration section of IT? Is it as lucrative, worthwhile, and in high demand as Im noticing it, or am I just naive in thinking so?

PS: I do realize there are a lot of factors to consider when thinking about which branch in IT to go to; this was more of getting a feel of what you guys think about database administration. IF this is a duplicate post, sorry in advance!

cheers icon_cool.gif
**** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You seem a bit confused, so let me lay out your priorities for you:

1. A have a few drinks
    2. Play Halo with me
    3. A have a few drinks
    4. Finish your MCSE
    5. A have a few drinks
    6. Think about being a DB Admin
    7. A have a few drinks
    8. A have a few drinks
    9. A have a few drinks
    10. Rest (pass out)

To make it simpler:
    1. drunken_smilie.gif
    2. icon_cool.gif
    3. drunken_smilie.gif
    4. icon_study.gif
    5. drunken_smilie.gif
    6. icon_scratch.gif
    7. drunken_smilie.gif
    8. drunken_smilie.gif
    9. drunken_smilie.gif
    10. sleeping.gif

Seriously though, it seems like they always make good money. That just does not seem like an interesting position to me at all. How about it DB admins, any tales of adventure?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    You seem a bit confused, so let me lay out your priorities for you:

1. A have a few drinks
    2. Play Halo with me
    3. A have a few drinks
    4. Finish your MCSE
    5. A have a few drinks
    6. Think about being a DB Admin
    7. A have a few drinks
    8. A have a few drinks
    9. A have a few drinks
    10. Rest (pass out)

To make it simpler:
    1. drunken_smilie.gif
    2. icon_cool.gif
    3. drunken_smilie.gif
    4. icon_study.gif
    5. drunken_smilie.gif
    6. icon_scratch.gif
    7. drunken_smilie.gif
    8. drunken_smilie.gif
    9. drunken_smilie.gif
    10. sleeping.gif

Seriously though, it seems like they always make good money. That just does not seem like an interesting position to me at all. How about it DB admins, any tales of adventure?

I need to edit your priority list a bit:

1a. Get a new truck

to make it simpler:

1a. monster-truck-racing-g_370.gif

THEN I can proceed with step 2 :)

but yes, I am wondering what some DB Admins have to say as well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    snadam wrote:
    1a. Get a new truck

That makes it sound like 1a comes after 1. Not a good idea icon_lol.gif
    snadam wrote:

Point taken icon_sad.gif

Just curious, does any part of being a DBA appeal to you, or are you just interested in the money. It's probably a good time to make a transition because SQL Server 2008 and it's corresponding certs recently became available.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    the 1 I work with makes over 90K a year. Been doing it for 10 years. Has no certs or anything. He is put under a lot of stress at time though, He supports a some serious applications that need a SQL to be flawless in the background. He basiclly lives the good life, we call him the orcale of what we do. He seems to always have ansnwers. 1 of those guys who won't be fired unless he does something really stupid.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    I do some oracle DBA stuff and have done some MYSQL stuff in the past.. its not my favorite thing in the world but I do kinda think its neat in a lot of ways.. depends what your into. Right now I enjoy the R&S as well as network security, but i also really enjoy SAN stuff too.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    1a. Get a new truck

That makes it sound like 1a comes after 1. Not a good idea icon_lol.gif
    snadam wrote:

Point taken icon_sad.gif

Just curious, does any part of being a DBA appeal to you, or are you just interested in the money. It's probably a good time to make a transition because SQL Server 2008 and it's corresponding certs recently became available.

yea, good point, but I think you get the idea :) . As for my interest, I dont think I ever gave DB stuff a chance and was wondering about opinions from my peers. To me it seems like a lot of mathematical thinking behind it; which Ill say is not my strong suit.

empc4000xl: Thats my basic idea of what a normal DB Admin does day to day. Hard working individuals who earn their pay.

Plazma: My primary interest is in security also. My family actually has a good history with InfoSec, and they turned me on to it. I was looking to acquire as much info in different fields as possible before I chose which route to take. That and I thought it was an interesting topic.

• TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I did database administration for 2 years.. I loved it to be honest. I just wish I could have dedicated more time to writing more custom scripts etc that could have improved the database. The biggest headaches were when customers wanted something specific in the database to react a certian way. Took a lot of stored procedures for it to happen. Also, its a never ending battle of learning new code and ways to make your code cleaner so it works better. DBA's are always in demand. Half why I got the position where I am today. Most of it was maintanance, monitoring, backups etc. Very little of my time was actually spent writing code. Most of that work was pushed off to the program analysts.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    dba's earn their money.

I wish to god we'd hire one at work, because it's probably my least favorite thing to deal with.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I don't currently work as a DBA but I'm 3/4 of the way through my MCDBA with plans of doing MCITP: Database Administration next. I've always been a big fan of SQL and the challenging aspect of a DBA role. The biggest problem I will have is finding an entry level position.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being a database architect is like being a programmer.

Being a DBA is kind of a mix between the two.

That has been my experiences.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I quite like and do a lot of SQL work, I wouldn't class myself as a full on DBA but I'm really interested in the SQL2008 stuff and will definately pursue that certification at some point. I may even do the MCITP. I must admit though, I find some aspects a bit tedious, with other parts interesting - I guess you can say that about any type of role though.

We do have a team of Oracle DBA's who have huge brains (though we never tell them that), and they really really know their stuff. They really get stuck in and are nuts about it. The whole MSSQL v Oracle discussions we have in the office make me laugh, they are usually so serious and dedicated.

A DBA role isn't for everyone, but MSSQL/MySQL/Oracle knowledge certainly does seem to be wanted by a lot of employers and these roles generally tend to paid well. If you like it, go for it I say. Do the SQL 2008 MCTS and it'll help you decide if it's something you want to do more frequently, plus it'll look good on a cv/resume.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    When I eventually get done with my MCSE, i tentatively plan to go for the MCITP: Database Administrator. I must admit I know little to nothing about SQL. My company has a SQL server here and somehow I managed to install/integrate Syspro and ACT with the SQL backend. We have a few other programmers now and they deal with all the day to day stuff and all the technical genius things. Someday I hope to know at least something about what they do.

I too have noticed in the job ads they generally make a pretty penny.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    There's also the Business Intelligence side as well. SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services), I don't know how in demand it is but i have seen some job postings that pay pretty well.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Hey! Snadam's stealing my ideas! :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you don't enjoy DBA work, probably no amount of money will be enough. You have to really be into it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Depends..... like a lot of things. I know some freelance contract DBA's in the $250k/yr + range, and some FTE DBA's in the $60-$140k range. Experience is the biggest key.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
    I'd happily settle for the $60k range right now. :D