Options

Net +/A+ or MCSA?

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there

Ive done a diploma course which includes a networking module so Ive got a good base in this

I was wondering from an employment point of view am I better doing Net +/A+ or MCSA?

Ive decided - I think to go the Microsoft route and not Cisco

Ill get the CBT Nugget disks and read book

What labs can I use?

Any help would be great
Noel

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are completely new to the IT world and you are looking for a computer repair or helpdesk job then definitely go for the Net+/A+.

The MCSA itself is completely undervalued.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    If you are completely new to the IT world and you are looking for a computer repair or helpdesk job then definitely go for the Net+/A+.

Thanks ive a diploma in it support so have a basic knowledge of IT

Id like to get into sys admin would the MCPs /CCNA be better?

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    noel123ie wrote:
    Mishra wrote:

Thanks ive a diploma in it support so have a basic knowledge of IT

Id like to get into sys admin would the MCPs /CCNA be better?

Thanks
    Noel

Tough part about that is you can't go out and get your Microsoft or Cisco certifications and get a system administrator job. You are going to have to start out with a lower job if you have no experience. The Cisco or Microsoft certs actually hurt you when looking for ones of these jobs as they will feel like you shouldn't be applying for a helpdesk job.

Take a look at the A+ Net+ and MCDST and plan on trying to find an entry level job so you can start your way working up the ladder to get to the system administration job.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    [quote

Tough part about that is you can't go out and get your Microsoft or Cisco certifications and get a system administrator job. You are going to have to start out with a lower job if you have no experience. The Cisco or Microsoft certs actually hurt you when looking for ones of these jobs as they will feel like you shouldn't be applying for a helpdesk job.

Take a look at the A+ Net+ and MCDST and plan on trying to find an entry level job so you can start your way working up the ladder to get to the system administration job.[/quote]

ya good advice just have to take the slow boat

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    A+/N+ will help you in breaking into IT at the entry level. They also will count as an elective towards that MCSA (though not towards an MCSE) so you could view it as a stepping stone towards that route.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Hi there

I spoke to college lecturer who advised qualification I have would give me a higher level of knowledge than a+/net+

I was thinking of

Exam 70-290
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment

Exam 70-291
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

Exam 70-620
    Review the preparation guide for Exam 70-620: TS: Windows Vista, Configuring

Also doing Security + as an elective

What would you think of this does it really matter what mcps you do?

Or should I do the new 2008 Microsoft certification?

This will take 1-2 years meanwhile I can get a lower level job and learn as I go

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    Mishra wrote:

Mishra when you say that MCSA is completely undervalued.. What are you referring to? Wha do u mean??
    close to MCSA!!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Mishra when you say that MCSA is completely undervalued.. What are you referring to? Wha do u mean??

I think what he means is, for all the work that goes into getting an MCSA, no one really pays attention to it or pays wages accordingly. For that effort, often times it's better just to go the whole route and get the MCSE.

I have lately started to see a few jobs listing MCSA as a requirement, though.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    dvalenzueladvalenzuela Member Posts: 123
    petedude wrote:

I think what he means is, for all the work that goes into getting an MCSA, no one really pays attention to it or pays wages accordingly. For that effort, often times it's better just to go the whole route and get the MCSE.

I have lately started to see a few jobs listing MCSA as a requirement, though.

mmmm.... well this is not a good new for me.. because
    I am bout to finish the mCSA, I m just missing 270(XP).. I was thinking to take a break and go for my MBA, and later on skip to W2008 Certs.... But In that gap at my MBA i want to able to get a good job... well we will see..
    close to MCSA!!
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I would suggest that you complete the MCSE. You are almost there. I am not sure how the education route/job market is in Ecuador, but it might be better to finish MCSE 2003 before it is phased out, not sure exactly when that is however. Just my .02 cents worth.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I don't think the MCSA is that under valued. It lets employers know that you can work on Microsoft platforms without your eyes glossing over. You know terms, linguo, and what you dont know will probably pick up easily. And if you get your messaging or security with it then they know you know exchange MS security. Even if it takes a year it still looks sharp on the resume. Take the MCSA a long with some good professional references in technical support or something and you have a real shot at a Sys. Admin job, I would think.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics