Options

MLS VTP-Domain issue

IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
Greetings,

I am attempting to configure a router interface as the mls management interface.

Router(config)# mls rp ip
Router(config)# interface gi0/0
Router(config-if)# mls rp vtp-domain blah
Router(config-if)# mls rp vlan-id 107
Router(config-if)# mls rp ip
Router(config-if)# mls rp management-interface

My issue is with the vtp-domain command. Whenever I enter it, I get a message saying "interface gigabitEthernet0/0 currently in -null- domain"

I was wondering if anybody could shed any light on the issue.

Thanks
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wow, haven't heard about this technology in a long while. You do know this is an old technology and not tested right?

Do you have the domain name configured on your switch? You have to have it on the switch (has to be a 6500 I believe to even run mlsp) first in order to configure it on the router if I remember correctly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    IT Man wrote:
    Greetings,

I am attempting to configure a router interface as the mls management interface.

Router(config)# mls rp ip
    Router(config)# interface gi0/0
    Router(config-if)# mls rp vtp-domain blah
    Router(config-if)# mls rp vlan-id 107
    Router(config-if)# mls rp ip
    Router(config-if)# mls rp management-interface

My issue is with the vtp-domain command. Whenever I enter it, I get a message saying "interface gigabitEthernet0/0 currently in -null- domain"

I was wondering if anybody could shed any light on the issue.

Thanks

IT Man,

From what I understand about Traditional MLS, it's basically the "router on a stick" in a single box. That means the routing functions purely exists to route between the VLANs and the switching functions are on the switch. So maybe you should be configuring vtp-domain on the switching supervisor engine instead of the routing supervisor engine?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So maybe you should be configuring vtp-domain on the switching supervisor engine instead of the routing supervisor engine?

You have to configure it on both.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.