Options

confused now on ccna and ccna security

GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
I was one click away to buy new ccna book by Todd. But I wanted to make sure I get the right exam number for ccna, so I went to ccna site.
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html
Under associate for network security, it shows ccna security, it used to show only ccna. Does that mean I have to take ccna security exam to go to ccsp? If I click on ccsp, then prerequisite is ccna security or ccna + snd. So ccna security is a prerequisite for ccsp. If I click on ccna security, then ccna is prerequisite. So, am I supposed to take ccna and ccna security to get ccsp? I can't just take ccna security? I am confused. Can anyone help clarify?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    you can't get ccna:security without a regular ccna
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You must take the CCNA AND the CCNA Security exam before CCSP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    I see.
    upon further reading I also noticed that ccsp will be 4 exams instead of five exams due to ccna security.
    so it will be ccna + ccna security + 4 exams instead of ccna + 5 exams
    well i can get two titles then if i did ccna security, not too bad i guess, well back to ordering book
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    it used to be ccna ... then snd + the rest of the exams....
    going forward it will be ccna... ccna security +the rest

the snd exam is due to retire shortly hence the current cross over of either or situ...

either way its still 6 exams total.....

from talking to others there seems to be a lot of crossover between the snd and new ccna security exam tho....

but the really nice thing about the SP route is you get a nice certificate for each exam passed icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    yep, cisco making more money with yet another exam lined up in between ccna and ccsp. they sure are getting wise to this whole cert thing icon_cool.gif problem is i am such a fool for certs that i'll probably end up taking it this fall after ccnp. i want a resume with a whole page that lists my certs, that would be cool icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    yep, cisco making more money with yet another exam lined up in between ccna and ccsp. they sure are getting wise to this whole cert thing icon_cool.gif problem is i am such a fool for certs that i'll probably end up taking it this fall after ccnp. i want a resume with a whole page that lists my certs, that would be cool icon_lol.gif

The CCSP still requires the same number of exams. One of them was just pushed out of the CCSP track and into the CCNA:Sec. It's a wash financially.