Options

Three Professional References

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
If a job asks for three professional references and you have none. What do you do?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should just tell them you do not have any if you don't. Just keep in mind if you do have prior employment history it will not look very well if you don't at least give them your previous supervisor. They will think you have something to hide.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had some hard time providing references for my current job. They wanted references from people at least at the managerial level, which I provided, still not satisfied, wanted more, they actually called my previous employer to verify my employment there, which was pretty good and got me in. Yeah, they can be pretty strict about it sometimes, just put yourself in their spot and try to see what you would want from you to hire you.

Just get some references from your instructors or anyone else who has trained you on something you would be using in this job.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Is the professional reference from a supervisior or can it be a former co-worker??
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Is the professional reference from a supervisior or can it be a former co-worker??

I think it should be from a prestigious member of the organization. If it was another doctor, laywer, CCIE, etc., it would probably carry some weight. I don't think a fellow help desk employee would be too influential.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    dynamik wrote:
    cbigbrick wrote:

I think it should be from a prestigious member of the organization. If it was another doctor, laywer, CCIE, etc., it would probably carry some weight. I don't think a fellow help desk employee would be too influential.

Right...got it.....fellow help desk jockey = unprofessional reference. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AKA the drinking buddies drunken_smilie.gif
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Professors a lot of the time count as professional references.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    kaynaankaynaan Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a similar problem ... the reference of my prof got me in the door.

heavyweight in the engineering and IT circles who is also an editor for the IEEE mag .. so i copied his whole signature from his email (which includes a whole lot of letters) to my reference.
    God give me the serenity to accept the things that i cannot change...and the courage to change the things i can....and the wisdom to know the difference.